Breakup

TW//Mentions of sexual assault

That night Jane kept tossing and turning. The whole Maxine thing was driving her crazy. She wanted to understand it. Her parents and friends were all horrified, and she felt left in the dark for not fully understanding.

Hopper was even acting strange. At dinner he kept telling Jane to keep Mike in his place, and set boundaries. Joyce tried to explain consent to her, which did help her understand a little but not much.

As soon as Hopper said goodnight to Jane, he left to take care of something important.

-

Hopper made it to Max's house and got out of his car. He marched to the door and knocked aggressively.

Maxine's mother ended up answering the door. "Officer?"

"Is Neil home?" Hopper asked clearly, not planning on asking a second time.

"Uh...I believe he left a few minutes ago." Susan chewed her lip nervously.

"I really hope you're telling me the truth, where did he go?" Hopper wasn't buying her lie.

"I have no idea..." Susan gulped.

Hopper looked back in the driveway. "So uh...that's not Neil's car in the driveway?"

Susan's eyes widened. "He left with a friend, the car isn't work-"

Hopper stopped her before she pissed him off any more. "Mayfield...are you aware that your child, Maxine, came to my house today? Hysterically crying according to Joyce."

"Max, why?" Susan anxiously played with the doorknob.

"Max made some pretty bold claims against Neil, I suggest you tell me the truth." Hopper put his foot in the doorframe, implying he wasn't going to let her slam the door in his face.

"Neil isn't here!" Susan nearly cried from fright.

Yelling erupted from upstairs, two male voices. Hopper knew now he was right to not believe her. "Who's fighting upstairs?"

Susan tried to shut the door, but she couldn't. She gave in and ran upstairs, expecting Hopper to invite himself in too. She expected to find Neil beating Billy, but it was the opposite.

Susan froze and put her head down. She was never the expert at breaking up fights.

Hopper walked upstairs and quickly frightened them off each other. "HEY!"

Billy let go of his father, and wiped a small trickle of blood from his bruised nose. "HE'S A CREEP!"

Neil heaved to catch his breath. Billy had never fought back against him like that before. "HE'S GONE MAD!"

"Susan, you'll never believe what I just caught him doing!" Billy spat at his father.

Hopper pulled his handcuffs out of his pocket. "Well you can join your father at the police station, maybe tell us what you saw."

-

It was lunchtime at school the next day, the party sat in their usual spots. Unfortunately the one right beside Jane was empty.

"So are we going to address the situation?" Dustin asked while immediately digging in to his lunch.

"Should we even be talking about it?" Lukas asked, afraid they might accidentally expose it to the whole school.

Mike shrugged and opened his lunchbox. "I really hope she's okay..."

"I overheard mom talking to Hopper this morning actually." Will started. "All I got was that he arrested Neil last night."