Part 3.4

"I'm home!" The words felt weird as they came out of Oikawa's mouth. He never had a home.

"Welcome!" Hanamaki said, popping his head out from the kitchen. "I'm making milk bread! Wanna help?" He asked then.

Oikawa nodded excitedly.

"Come on then! And wash your hands!"

~•~

"So, did you have fun with Iwaizumi?"

They ended up burning the milk bread, so Hanamaki suggested they visit Starbucks instead. Besides, he's always up for coffee.

"Yeah! It was nice! I also reunited with an old friend of mine!" Oikawa grinned.

"That's good!" Hanamaki sipped bitterly on his coffee.

Oikasa could see the sadness in his eyes. Hanamaki was like him; he had difficulty making friends. So, of course he would get insecure to find out that Oikawa met up with an other friend of his.

"But you'll still be my best friend! No, my bestest friend!" Oikawa promised, grinned. Hanamaki smiled.

"That was so childish!" He teased.

"Children are more honest than adults." Oikawa said, stirring his milkshake.

He was, apparently, not a coffee lover.

Hanamaki chuckled. "That's true."

They were silent for a while. Not an uncomfortable silence. Just a friendly one. Taking in each other's presence. In the past months, they hadn't had much of a chance to do so.

Hanamaki was busy with uni. He was almost done, but not yet. Oikawa would stay at home, cleaning or taking care of the plants.

And then, there were Iwaizumi and Matsukawa.

Something they would be on dates at the same time. Sometimes, Hanamaki would try to stay up and wait for Oikawa but end up falling asleep on the couch.

Other times, Oikawa would stay up watching alien documentaries while waiting for Hanamaki, and then they would both go to bed and chat a bit about the date and whatever documentary Oikawa had just seen.

Sometimes, Hanamaki never showed up at all. Oikawa would try to reach out after one a.m., only to be ignored. Hanamaki would come back either later the next morning looking like he was attacked by a mosquito gang or he would text Oikawa a quick explanation and ask him to meet at the arcade.

Oikawa always came back on time. He and Iwaizumi we're still on the dating stage. Hanamaki and Matsukawa were in a relationship.

"I bet you're thinking about Iwaizumi's arms." Hanamaki joked. Oikawa choked, blushing slightly.

"I do not!" He said. Hanamaki laughed.

"Can we not talk about Iwa-chan or Mattsun tonight?" Hanamaki was taken aback by that request. "I just want a talk like the good old times. Where we would talk about whatever?" Hanamaki hummed.

"I do miss that." he admitted. Oikawa smiled.

"So, how was work? Did Mai-chan fix the cables?" He asked.

"She did not! I tripped over them again today. She got an earful!" They laughed. It felt nice.

That day, they each realized something:

• Oikawa realized that he found a home. And his home wasn't a place. It was a person. Two (and a half), actually.

•Hanamaki realized that he made a friend. Not someone who would talk to him on occasion. Not someone he would hang out at school and nowhere else. A real, actual friend.

And they both realized: they were each other's person. Each other's home. Each other's friend.

They were each other's platonic soulmate.