12: brave faces

"Harry my love, you should go home and get some sleep," Anita suggests as I stare through the incubator at Lilah who is beginning to wake up. She yawns, her mouth forming an O-shape and outstretching her limbs.

"She's waking up now, I can't leave now," I say as Anita comes up behind me and lays a hand on my back. I smile at Lilah's little eyes peeling open and shutting immediately to the intense lighting change. A breathing laugh escapes my lip as Anita sits next to me, I see her smile spread across her pink lips like butter.

"She's so beautiful, look at those little hands

"She's so beautiful, look at those little hands. They remind me of yours when you were little," She tucks her shoulder-length hair behind her ear and looks back at me refocusing her attention back to the original topic before she was distracted. "I know you've been waiting for her call."

I don't say anything but I slump back into the chair and look over at her with a deep-chested sigh. "I know you don't think I notice but I do, every time you look at your phone when it goes off."

"I don't blame her for being upset," I say thinking back to two nights ago when she walked out with starry eyes. I hadn't heard from her since and knew there was so much to say still outside of these hospital walls. I used the building as a crutch, a shield from the outside responsibility that awaited me.

"I think you should go home, shower, get some sleep, and when you have your thoughts sorted out you should talk to her. She's hurting just the same. Then we can talk about everything else that needs to be addressed," Anita tells me threading her fingers through my messy and unkempt hair that became a forest of tangled curls. I look over at her and see her soulful blue eyes accessing the state of the situation in front of us. I could see the wheels turning in her head on how she was to help me navigate what was going to happen next. I had gotten myself into a mess of secrets and chaos in these past weeks and it was coming to a head. Apologizes were in need of extension and explanations needed to be given.'

"I'm not ready for it all yet," I tell her feeling the tinge of anxiety switch on thinking about all the talking I would be doing. I knew what my parents would say about all of it, knew that they would be plagued by the image of it. How this would reflect badly on them, how this would be embarrassing to them.

"I don't know if anyone is ever ready to face the road ahead my dear. We just put a brave face on and deal with it the best way we know how," Anita says with a slanted smile taking in a deep breath and standing up.

"Now let's put on that brave face," Anita says taking my hands and pulling me up as she did when I was little. I hug her and whisper a small "thank you" in her ear before pulling away and hearing the soft whimpers of Lilah spread over the room.

"Are you sure-"

"Harry love, Lilah is going to be fine! She's got her nurses and Dr. Perry watching her every vital and she has me," Anita tells me almost pushing me out of the room as Lilah begins to cry softly. She whines in need of comfort that I can't give her, my heart winces at the thought as Anita shuts the door and leaves me in the hallway.