prologue

YOU ARE IN LOVE
prologue

A week before the start of year 10

    "You know sometimes I wish you were a guy." Tao said out of nowhere. Melody, who was hanging clothes up quickly before they started their movie night, stopped what she was doing and laughed.

    "You wish I was a guy?" Melody repeated after turning to look at the boy sitting against her headboard. He smiled at the confused look she gave him.

    "That sounds weird but like I mean if you were a guy we'd go to the same school and I'd see you every day." Tao explained with a bashful smile. Melody turned around to hide the red that painted her face. She had been beginning to realize how warm her face would get when she was with Tao and absolutely despised it.

    "You already see me everyday. We literally walk to and back from school together everyday." Melody responded, shaking her head. Tao sighed and Melody immediately knew something was wrong. Melody stopped what she was doing and sat next to him on the bed.

"Do you think it's gonna be any different?" Tao asked, leaning closer to his friend. Melody leaned into him while thinking of her response.

    "No.. I don't think so. The only real difference is Elle will be at my school now. Well and the number of the year too but that's it." Melody responded while looking back and forth from him and the wall in front of the two. Tao sighed and snuggled his face into the crook of Melody's neck. A pale red painted Melody's face.

    "What if we, like all, grow apart though." Tao ranted worriedly, which was on character for him. Melody sighed and swung her arm over Tao's shoulders in an attempt to comfort him.

    "I seriously doubt we'll all grow apart. Stop thinking about the what ifs." The girl assured the boy while leaning to get her laptop. Which made Tao pull away from her. He watched as she opened the laptop and started browsing various streaming services.

"Can you promise to not be too busy for me? Oh and that we'll talk everyday." Tao sort of demanded while holding his pinky out. Melody laughed softly and shook her head.

"I could never be too busy for you, and don't you think that's a bit extreme?" Melody replied, making eye contact with Tao. Tao leaned his finger towards her face, waiting for her to hurry up and make the promise. She rolled her eyes with a smile still on her face.

"Okay but you have to come to all my cross country meets and be nice to Spencer." Melody bargained while holding her pinky out as well. Tao rolled his eyes and sighed.

"I was gonna go to all of your meets anyways." He said and tried to link their pinkies. Melody pulled hers away quickly and gave Tao a bossy look.

"You forgot about the Spencer part."

"I don't like him."

"Tao I'm not asking you to become best friends with him, just be nice. Spencer's cool. I think if you tried to know him you guys would be good friends but I'm not gonna push you to be friends. Just be nice." Melody argued with pleading eyes and a small frown on her face. Tao took one look at her face and caved. He mumbled a small fine and linked their pinkies. Tao studied Melody's face as their pinkies linked and he felt the warmth on his cheeks too before he drew back.

"Okay so we're watching Little Miss Sunshine right?" Melody drew her eyes away from Tao and "asked". Tao shrugged in agreement and got under the covers. Melody pressed play and got under the covers as well before setting the laptop on both her and Taos legs.

*

    "Hey Mel I-" Lani, Melodys little sister, mumbled as she walked into the room. She stopped and smiled at the scene in front of her.

    "Nor! Come look." Lani whispered loudly, hoping her sister could hear her from the kitchen. Norah came over quickly and saw the scene of Tao and Melody sleeping all snuggled up. Norah took out her phone and started snapping photos of the pair while moving around to get better angles. Lani stood watching and giggling at the antics. It wasn't long before the father of the three girls heard the giggles from the living room and got up to investigate.

    He walked into the room and Lani pointed to Tao and Melody. Alec looked at his girls and shook his head, trying to hide his smile.

    "Leave them alone." He whispered and ushered the girls out of the room. Once they were out he looked at the two sleeping and let a soft smile come to his face before turning the laptop off and putting it on Melodys desk. Hearing the noise of someone stirring he winced and turned around slowly. To his hope no one woke up and he turned the lights off before leaving the room.

{i didnt know where to end. this is also just kind of setting up the friendship that tao and melody have. and the jasper family dynamic. (the moms gone if u like couldnt tell..) also im terrified my writing isnt good enough for this so uh... yeah thats it bye bye}