Realizations

Your Pov:

I slipped into the courtroom just as Iris took the stand for her verdict. Pearls was still channeling Mia. Mia quietly moved over, making a space for me. I nodded to her on thanks. I looked to the judge as he spoke. "Although you weren't directly involved in the murder...tampering with the body and the crime scene is a serious offense in itself." Iris nodded. "I understand, Your Honor. Mr. Armando explained that to me very carefully...I knew the risk and I willingly cooperated anyway."

I always knew that Iris had a big heart. She'd do anything for anyone if she could help. And I admired her for that. The judge hummed. "...Very well. Before I hand down my verdict, is there anything you'd like to say?" Iris turned towards Phoenix. "Well, there is one thing. I'd like to say something to Mr. Wright." Phoenix looked at her. Iris glanced at me before speaking. "I want to...I want to apologize to you."

I swore in my head as I realized what she was going to do. Phoenix tilted his head. "Apologize? To me? For what?" Iris continued. "For the case 6 years ago, of course." The judge interrupted. "I just remembered...Weren't you poisoned by your own lover?" I winced and Phoenix looked sheepish. "Not exactly, but yeah, something like that. Even now...6 years later, I can hardly believe it. She was going to do it...She was planning to kill me..."

Iris tilted her head. "It's not all that surprising. The two of you...You hardly knew each other." That's when I knew that she was going to expose everything. She smiled.

"You and my sister...You only met twice."

Phoenix's face fell. "Huh. W-We only met t-twice?" She nodded. "The first time you met was on that fateful day...The day she poisoned Mr. Armando in the cafeteria of this very courthouse. The next time you met her was...six months later. You met her again on the day that she stole your cold medicine...and Doug Swallow was killed."

I didn't want to remember that day. That day was the day Dahlia's trap almost snapped shut on Phoenix.

Phoenix spoke. "N-N-No way! It just...It can't be true! I mean, during our whole relationship, we were..." Iris shook her head. "For those 6 months...the woman that you thought was Dahlia Hawthorne...wasn't actually my sister."

Of course, I knew what she was talking about. All those years ago, I had to act like I didn't know or see anything. I had to pretend for Phoenix's sake.

Iris paused. "...I hope one day you can forgive me...Feenie." Phoenix's expression turned shocked. "You...Y-Y-You mean...?" Iris nodded. "That's right...I lied to you...for 6 months." She continued. "Ever since she gave you the bottle that day...my sister was trying to get it back as soon as she possibly could. Because of the police investigation and their surveillance...she couldn't move about freely."

Phoenix looked at her. "So that's why you...?" She nodded once again. "My sister...From the beginning, she was prepared for the worst. Even when she wasn't present, she always had eyes on you." Her gaze fell to me for one moment before going back to Phoenix. "She thought that you might somehow discover the truth. That's why she was always ready to deal with you at a moment's notice..."

Iris's eyes became sad. "She already had so much to answer for, we- I didn't want any more sins on her soul. I begged her not to do it, and she agreed to give me a chance." Phoenix sighed. "And that's why...you came to me? You came to get the bottle pendant back from me in her place?" Iris's face looked sullen. "But I couldn't get you to give it back...I failed at something even as simple as that. Six months passed and I still couldn't get it back from you. Finally, my sister couldn't wait any longer. She didn't consult me about her plans for you that day...It was the first time that had ever happened."

I had never told Iris, but Dahlia had consulted with me that day. I knew the plan and if I had truly wanted to, I could've ruined it all. But I didn't, and because of that...

An innocent man died.

Phoenix spoke. "That was a bit strange, wasn't it? Up until that day, you two were partners in crime, and she would confer with you..." Iris swallowed. "I think...she must have noticed." Phoenix rose a brow. "Noticed what?" Iris blushed, her cheeks pink. "My feelings for you. If I had found out she was planning to kill you...I would have done whatever was necessary to stop her. Even if it meant her life...or mine."

I bit my lip as Phoenix murmured. "Iris..." Iris smiled. "After spending half a year by your side...my feelings towards you...They changed." Phoenix smiled. "I have something to say to you, too." Iris looked at him. "Y-Yes...?" Phoenix continued to smile that beautiful smile I had come to know and love. "You really are the person I always thought you were. Even after Dahlia Hawthorne was found guilty...I still believed in you." Iris smiled at him, tears in her eyes. "Thank you..."

I quietly slipped out of the courtroom. I had to speak with Iris before everything ended.