The Past Lamented

Your Pov:

When I came back to my senses, I was in the defendant's lobby with Phoenix and Iris. Pearls had channeled Mia and left for the courthouse's infirmary. The real Iris stood in front of us. "I'm truly sorry about everything. You were working so hard to defend me...But I was missing all day, and we didn't even have a chance to talk..." The two of them talked for a bit more before Phoenix asked the dreaded question. "W-Well, it wasn't you fault. You were locked up this whole time... There's something more important than that, though. I have to ask you...Why did you help your sister out as much as you did?" I tensed slightly and noticed Iris doing the same. She sighed. "... My sister...I felt sorry for her. She was abandoned by our mother and never got any love from our father either."

Phoenix rose a brow at her words. "Yes, but...it was the same for you too, wasn't it?" Iris looked away from him. "Yes, but at least I had Sister Bikini, who was like a mother to me. If only Dahlia had come with me to Hazakura Temple...I always...I always loved her...Dahlia was always so smart, so strong...She never complained about a thing. That's why I...That's why I promised her that I would help her."

I listened to the conversation as the two of them spoke more about Dahlia and the murder case. Then, Phoenix turned to me. "(Y/n), why didn't you tell me?" I tried to feign ignorance. "About what?" He sighed. "You're a spirit medium. How? Maya would've told me if she knew you. Pearls too." I looked at Iris then back at him.

"Phoenix, remember that you promised me whatever happened here wouldn't change anything."

He nodded. "Yeah. I remembered. What's going on?"

I looked up at him. "I was born in Kurain Village, into a family of spirit mediums. I had an average family. Three siblings and two cousins. But...I couldn't stay there."

Iris spoke up. "I-I don't understand...It was only the three of us. We have a fourth sibling?" I turned to her. "Iris...Right after you and Dahlia left the village, mother had another child. Pearls is our sister..." Phoenix looked between the two of us in shock.

"Y-You're sisters?"

I hesitantly nodded. "Yes. I was born a year after Iris and Dahlia. Once I was old enough, I left the village to make a life of my own. Pearls was born when I was 15. It was up to me to raise her since my mother was only interested in the spiritual power she had. But once Pearls was three, I left. She doesn't remember me."

Iris turned to Phoenix. "Dahlia and I had very little power, but (Y/n) far surpasses Pearl Fey, Maya Fey, and even Mystic Misty. But she hid this from our mother because she knew that mother would do anything in her power to take the master's seat." Phoenix looked at me. "But where does Dahlia fit into this? If she was your sister..." I looked down. "Dahlia and I...We used to be close. Closer than even she and Iris were. We confided in each other about everything. Then, a few days after my thirteenth birthday, father took Iris and Dahlia away from the village."

I hesitated to speak, but continued when Iris rested a comforting hand on my shoulder. "I lost all communication with them, but a few months later, I received a phone call from Dahlia. She wanted me to help her get revenge on our father by stealing a two million dollar diamond from him. I could tell that something evil had sprouted in her. It grew and swallowed her entire being. She got her revenge but after that, she constantly felt as though the entire world was out to get her."

I stopped and Iris continued for me. "Dahlia...in her belief that the world was out to get her, created a facade. A personality if you will. One for the public, and one for herself. And she built her walls high to ensure that no one could get in."

I looked at Phoenix, blinking back tears. "Iris and I were supposed to help with the fake kidnapping. But, as you know, Iris backed out last minute. I stayed behind, pulling Dahlia out of the water after she jumped into the river. But we lost the diamond to the current of the river. Dahlia blamed me for it and cut all ties with our family." I looked down. "Then, she met you. But...that's a story for another time."

Phoenix spoke. "Tell me one thing, (Y/n). Was Mia talking about you when she said that someone else might've tried to channel Dahlia before Pearls did?" I nodded. "Yes. I overheard Misty Fey speaking to someone about channeling Dahlia to avoid a lot of things. I wanted everyone to be alright, so I tried to channel Dahlia, but I failed."

I swallowed the lump in my throat. "I never wanted to hurt anyone. I promise." Many emotions flashed in Phoenix's eyes as he spoke.

"(Y/n), there's one more thing I need to ask you. 5 years ago, when we were going to university together, did you know about Dahlia's plan?"

I looked at Iris, then at Phoenix. "I..." The bailiff came out. "Mr. Wright, court is resuming." Phoenix gave me one more glance before heading into the courtroom. Iris squeezed my hand before the bailiff lead her away. I sighed and followed after Phoenix.

Dahlia had entangled everyone in her web of deception and I was no exception.

Even if I was her sister.