Bed Of Thorns

Your Pov:

I watched as Dahlia took the stand. The judge and prosecutor stared with wide eyes. The judge spoke, "In my long career as a judge, I have been deceived by many witnesses. It's my job to doubt; to take no one at their word...But in your case, I must admit that you radiate a glow of complete sincerity." The prosecutor jumped, "Oh! Um, now then, witness. Could you please state your full name?"

Dahlia gripped her parasol, looking at the ground, "...I...Um..." The judge smiled, "Don't worry, sweetie. There's no need to be nervous!" The prosecutor nodded, "If anyone says anything rude, you can be sure, I'll cut them right down to size!" My gaze flitted to the defense attorney. She looked the way I felt. Dahlia looked up, "Um, thank you...for calming my nerves. You are all so nice...I almost feel right at home." The prosecutor looked at her, "Not at all." The judge agreed, "It was nothing."

I frowned. The defense attorney spoke up, "If we may move on now... What is your full name and occupation?" Dahlia spoke, tilting her head and smiling like a Disney princess, "My name is Dahlia Hawthorne. I'm a junior in Literature at Ivy University. I just want to say... It's an honor for me to be here in your noble presence." She sounded so plastic, but they were just eating out of her hand at this point.

The prosecutor blushed, "The honor is all mine." The judge cut in, "No...the honor is all mine." Dahlia spoke up, "Um...sir?" The prosecutor looked at her, "Is there something I can help you with?" The judge followed, "You just go on and say whatever is on your mind!" Dahlia looked down again, "I'm sure that there must be some kind of mistake. Feenie wouldn't kill anyone. I just know it!" The judge nodded, "Yes, yes... I can see why you'd say that." He continued.

"Now then, please proceed with your testimony. Let's hear about what you witnessed on the day of the incident, if you please."

Dahlia nodded and started her testimony, "I had been planning to go back to Feenie's place after class was over. Feenie and Dougie... They were talking behind the building." She paused, "...Then suddenly... Dougie got all wobbly and just collapsed." She bit her lip, "That's when Feenie noticed that I was there. I went to go and find some other students and they called the authorities." She went quiet.

My jaw dropped. How in the world could they take that as admissable testimony?! Phoenix had even said that he pushed Doug. I sighed and kept watching the trial.

The judge spoke, "I-I don't know what to say! According to you, Ms. Hawthorne... ...the defendant didn't do anything wrong!" I rolled my eyes. The prosecutor cut in, "Young lady. As old as I am, even I recall how hot the flames of young passion can burn. Nevertheless... It is my job to discover the truth. Please, tell us the truth..."

Dahlia hesitated, "But...But I...I would never..." The defense attorney scoffed, "That's more than enough, witness. I won't allow this to continue." The judge looked at her, "Wh-What do you mean by that?" The attorney shook her head, "Please, just let me proceed with my cross-examination, Your Honor. I, for one, don't plan to win my case on a bunch of paper-thin lies!"

Dahlia spoke, "...Tee hee. You haven't changed a bit...Mia Fey." I tilted my head. How did Dahlia know that attorney? As far as I knew, she had never been to court. The prosecutor looked the the two, "What's this? So, you two are... acquainted?" Dahlia went quiet. The attorney nodded, "Yes. We've met before...Once." The judge spoke, "In any case, Ms. Fey, the floor is all yours."

Then, the cross examination began...