003

Aether

"Who?"

My brain was too stunned that it had lost its purpose to function and words wouldn't even come out of my mouth because his sudden appearance and cuteness made my heart race as heat rose on my cheeks.

He put his bag on the seat beside me and leaned closer to me. "You said that you love someone, so who is it?"

His question made me nervous because there is a big possibility that he would avoid me if my answer is too honest, but it is better to tell the truth with what you truly feel. "You."

However, my response was more like a mumble since the place was too drab for a confession. He obviously didn't hear that, but the others did, and it amused me to know that they had good ears.

"You said what?" My nose is so close to having a nosebleed because he was too cute with his reaction and you could really tell that he was confused like a lost kitten.

"Aether, you have earned my respect for your bravery." Chongyun said as he clapped both his hands and proudly looked at me.

"Yun! Could you confess your love to me again?" Xi battled his eyelashes as he asked his boyfriend a very direct question.

Chonyun blushed and swallowed a big gulp at his proposal. "X-xi, stop teasing me." He said and covered his entire face with his palm to hide his red blush.

"Class, take your proper seats." Professor Jean announced the moment she entered the room and we did what we are instructed to.

Xiao sat beside me since we are seatmates. Did you know that it was supposed to be Kazuha? But he preferred to sit near the window because he enjoys feeling the warm breeze every morning, as if he were a princess waiting for her prince to rescue him from a high tower.

"Flip your textbook to page 143." Professor Jean began to lecture us on a new discussion about literature, and my attention was focused on her when my seatmate disrupted it.

"Aether." Xiao whispered, and my head quickly diverted to his direction.

"Y-you said something earlier. Could you tell me what you said?" He asked while he avoided eye contact with me, and it made me smile when his ears turned red.

"I said none. You just misheard me earlier because our conversation was about a random person who loves his best friend." See? My actions are so obvious that you can even tell from first glance. But as usual, his reaction was normal, and obviously he didn't get the message.

"I see." He said as he scratched the back of his neck. Our small talk had ended, but my ears refused to listen to what the professor had lectured and I gave my full attention to my beloved crush.

Xiao did a small twitch in his eyebrows and noticed my stare. "S-stop."

"Stop what?" It is fun to tease him, so my mind had the idea to act innocent.

"Your stare." He answered and looked in the opposite direction to hide his tomato face.

"Fine." I chuckled and decided to divert my attention to the professor who was writing on the board.

"Y-you." He mumbled, and my attention span was so low that my head quickly turned in his direction.

"Hmm?"

He looked down and fiddled with his fingers, which means that he was nervous, and it was cute to watch. "You didn't wait for me earlier."

My mind went blank because it made me confused and think that it was a miracle to happen. "What do you mean?"

"You proceeded to go to class alone and did not wait for me." He responded with a pout on his face. My jealousy from before has already vanished into thin air, but it is fun to tease him since he appeared to be more cute than usual.

"You seemed busy with the other girls." I said. Xiao disliked crowds because he disliked people who clung to him because he often goes alone, but it's nice to see that he had some friends with whom he felt comfortable.

"I did not enjoy their presence." He answered.

I noticed his voice going cold and serious. "Really? You seemed to like it."

He suddenly grabbed my hand and it made me gasp because I did not anticipate him doing that. "Stupid, your presence is the only one that makes me comfortable." His response gave my stomach butterflies and made me flustered because he sounded so cool when he said those words, as if he was the main character in our story.

It made my heart celebrate with fireworks until a loud cough interrupted the moment. "It is not forbidden to flirt with your partner, but kindly listen to my class and do it later instead."

Everyone in the class whistled and even cheered on us, but the embarrassment for the both of us was too much to handle as heat rose through our entire faces. We immediately apologized for our behavior and she just grinned at us.

"You two love birds remind me of my husband when we were young." She let out a small squeal as she remembered her moment before she resumed her lecture. However, it is impossible to listen to her discussion because of what has happened.

•••••

Author's Note:

Aether being bold and confident: