Tyler Konty

"Truth or Dare?" She asked, our eyes locked.

With a smirk on my face I responded, "dare."

She smiled widely, "I dare you to kiss Olive."

Color immediately rose to Olive's cheek as she blushed beet red.

I shrugged, "a dare's a dare." I said hiding a smile of my own. With every step I took closer to her, the cheers around us grew wild, causing Olive to blush more.

I gripped the arms of the chair she sat in and brought my face closer to hers', "hey." I said, my voice sounding deeper and sexy.

"Hey." She whispered.

I slowly brought my lips to hers' when...

"Hey Clay, your girlfriend's passed out on the stairs!" Someone yelled.

I bit my teeth, damn you Ruby!

"I'll be right back." I promised and left to go find her.

Ruby wasn't my girlfriend, she was my best friend but people didn't want to believe this. No. They were fixed on the idea that Ruby and I were going out, it didn't matter how many times we tried to clarify.

At first when people started saying Ruby and I were a thing, I took it positively. I had a little bit of space, I could finally breathe. There were no girls throwing themselves at me. But after a while, it became annoying because NO GIRL would go out with me.

It took a lot of work to get laid now. Like tonight, I had to talk Natalia into Daring me to kiss Olive. Guess that didn't go as planned.

"Where the hell are you Ruby!" I gritted as I looked for her in this palace of a house.

The guy said I'd find her on the stairs, but she wasn't there.

After an eternity of barging into every room, I found her. She was in one of the guestrooms sitting on the floor and leaning to the wall.

"Hey." I said kneeling beside her. She looked at me with her half closed eyes and smiled a big smile. "How much did you drink?" I wondered, taking a seat next to her.

"I don't know, a lot!" She shouts.

I smiled, "come here." I wrapped my arm around her shoulder and she put her head on mine and we stayed like that for the rest of the night.

This was okay too.

~

Ruby woke up with a groan, she shielded her eyes from the bright light and groaned some more.

"Good morning." I sang.

"Please don't sing!" She begged, "it's still very early in the morning."

"It's ten." I told her, "come on, let's go have breakfast."

She got up from bed, still groaning, "I have a splitting headache." She whined.

"Here's some aspirin." I handed her the drugs and glass of water that I had ready. She gulped them down and we walked to the kitchen.

Even with a bird's nest for hair and mascara smudged here and there on her face, Ruby looked beautiful. She was a ten out of ten. She had the prettiest smile. And a killer body. But I've never seen her as more than just a friend.

We were in the corridor when Mr. Konty and Mrs. Konty walked in with a boy just about my and Ruby's age. He looked everything like her too. Tyler.

Tyler Konty was Ruby's twin brother with him being the oldest by six minutes. Even though I haven't met him, I knew him very well. He was all Ruby ever talked about. Not that he'd ever guess but she adored him a great deal. In the four years I've known Ruby, it's always been Tyler this, Tyler that.

Tyler was perfect. It was impossible to believe someone as flawless as him existed. He was good looking, with the features of one of those novel characters, he was smart, good at everything and he was nice. How someone like that existed is beyond me.

When Mr and Mrs. Konty noticed me and Ruby standing in the corridor, they froze. Something was definitely wrong. They both looked sad, and Tyler looked... Sick? Ruby must've sensed it too. But her worries went as soon as they came, with the biggest smile on her face, she closed the space in between and pulled her brother into a tight hug.

"I missed you." She confessed.

"I missed you too." He smiled, his lips a thin line but the smile didn't reach his eyes.

"Hi Mr. Kay, Hi Mrs. Kay." I waved from where I was, "hi Tyler." I nodded and he nodded back.

"You didn't tell me you were coming." Ruby spoke.

"It was a surprise." Tyler responded. The tiredness in his voice was hard to miss.

Ruby rolled her eyes playfully.

Just then, Mrs. Konty broke down and started crying. She rolled her lips into her mouth and hid her face with one hand and then walked to the kitchen.

"Ade," Mr. Konty sighed and followed her, not before sparing Tyler a glance.

"What's going on?" Ruby asked, but by the way Tyler was biting his bottom lip, she wasn't going to get answers from him. She followed her parents to the kitchen, "mom, dad, what's going on?" She was panicking.

"Later, dear." Mr. Konty said.

"I want answers now. What is going on? Why is Tyler here and why are you crying mom? Is he sick?"

I heard Mrs. Konty sniff, "we'll explain all this later, darling. Right now just..." She sucked in a deep breath, "wait."

"I-" Ruby started to say but Mr. Konty's loud voice cut her.

"We said we'd explain this to you, didn't we!? Now, go to your room and-"

"I tried to kill myself." Tyler cut in. It was silent in the next room for an eternity.

I studied him, he had bandages covering both wrists and he looked so pale. Did he cut himself?

Ruby walked out of the kitchen, slowly. Her shaky steps were of fear. Tears started streaming down her cheeks. Tyler wouldn't look at her. Her parents were still in the other room. And I didn't know what to do. I just felt sorry for Tyler. And Ruby. And their parents.

"I'm sorry..." Ruby whispered wiping the tears off her face, "I'm sorry." She repeated. Then she marched to her room.

After an eternity of silence, I finally spoke, "you okay, man?"

Tyler raised his head to look at me, clearly I didn't get the memo. How can I be asking a question like that? But still he responded, "yeah," sigh, "I'm okay."