Welcome back to school

I was picking up Ruby and Tyler, my heart was hot and cold at the same time, I didn't know how to look at Ruby anymore. I always thought we were just best friends but after seven minutes in heaven, I was starting to doubt that. Was I in this friendship alone?

No way!

Was she going to change now that I clearly didn't feel the same about her?

This was all messed up.

"You're early!" She exclaimed as she entered the car. She shoved a donut in my face and I took a bite. As far as I could tell, what happened that day didn't affect the air around us.

I moaned, "this is really good." I said licking my lips where the chocolate smudge was.

"No more for you." She smiled.

"Come on!" I cried.

"Hey Clay." Tyler greeted taking the backseat.

I turn to look at him and the craziest thing happened. Everything was suddenly moving in slow motion, the way Tyler's lips curved up into a smile, a breathtaking smile!

"Dude!" Ruby was shaking me out of dream land. She was laughing awkwardly, "let's go!" She exclaimed and I drove off.

~

At school in the corridors, everyone was welcoming. I wondered if it'd be the same if they knew that I was sick. Probably. But I didn't miss the pitying looks people used to give me back from where I moved from.

It was one of the reasons we moved. Even though I had beat cancer that first time, everyone would still look at me as the sick kid. I was grateful of people's concerns but I was more than just the sick kid and no one wanted to see that.

The first half of the day went well, it was already lunch time and I was excited to share a meal with all of my friends: Ruby, Owen, Natalia and Olive. With Tyler joining us, I couldn't be any more thrilled.

"Hi babe." Tyler said kissing Olive on the lip.

I felt my heart shatter into two. Olive, the girl I had my eyes on, was with Tyler!? I swallowed hard.

I didn't even enjoy the chatter.

"You okay Clay?" Ruby worried.

"Yeah," I smiled a fake smile, "I'm okay."

~

I passed the ball to Owen and he did the same. "What are you pissed off about?" He wondered.

"Nothing." I kicked the ball, angrily.

"Clearly something's up." He insisted.

"It's just that," I sighed, "Ruby kissed me the other day." I diverted the topic.

Owen's pupils dilated, "finally!" Owen was one of the fewest people who knew- accepted- the truth about me and Ruby.

I rolled my eyes.

"So... Are you guys like a thing now?" He was smiling.

"No! No!" I exclaimed, "Ruby and I are just friends."

"Yeah, right." He grumbled.

"For real." I screamed.

Tyler joined us then. He greeted us and I passed him the ball.

"So you and Olive huh?" I asked. The grumpiness in my tone couldn't be missed.

He nodded, his face not giving any emotions.

"Great!" I exclaimed, my tone dry.

They both gave me questioning gazes but didn't ask.

I'm sure they couldn't understand why I was angry, I too didn't understand where my anger was coming from. I liked Olive, for sure but I didn't own her, and it's not like Tyler double crossed me, he didn't know. I just didn't want them to be together. Anyone but Tyler.

We had football practice and were done by 6pm. I was dropping off Tyler. We were silent all the way to his house, Jon Bellion's amazing vocals filling the deadly silence.

"Wanna come in?" Tyler asked.

I didn't. I was still kinda mad, a result of my jealousy I suppose. But I didn't want to ruin our friendship so I walked in.

Ruby was in the kitchen with her mom preparing dinner.

"Hi Clay," Ruby greeted, her voice pitched, she straightened her body, her eyes a little wide; there's the awkwardness, "I didn't know you were coming."

Okay, weird!

"Ty invited me-"

Mrs. Konty chuckled awkwardly, "Ruby, stop making him feel as if he's unwelcomed here." She gritted through a smile, "you boys go on, we'll call you when dinner's ready." She shooed us.

In Tyler's room, an awkward silence lingered. I pretended to look around while Tyler sat on his bed, watching me. I could feel his eyes on me and it made me uncomfortable.

I actually found something interesting. "You play?" I turn to look at him, pointing at a guitar. I found him intensely staring at me, eyes dark with... I don't know.

He snapped out of whatever that was, his lips curved up in a small smile he nodded, "yes." I grabbed the guitar and sat at the edge of his bed, I tried to play a few chords.

Tyler laughed at how bad I was, "come lemme play something." I handed him the guitar, the first chord sounded perfect. Wow.

He was staring into my eyes as he played, as he sang. "Boy you gat me hooked on to something, who could say that they saw us coming, tell me, do you feel that love? Spend a summer or a lifetime with me, let me take you to the place of your dreams, tell me do you feel that love?" My heart was beating so loud in my ears.

He struck the last chord and I clapped, cheering. "You're amaz-" I was cut by a liplock.

My eyelids closed and I kissed him back. Not a single thought but the feel of Tyler's lips on mine on my mind.