The happiest people alive

Ruby's POV

For the first time in forever, I was up at 6AM. I wanted to help my mom with preparing breakfast in hopes of cheering up both my brother and best friend. Things were hard for all of us. We all needed cheering and to be there for each other. And we tried.

Mom excused herself to go check on the boys but a minute later, she was walking back into the kitchen, terrified. Her eyes were so wide and she couldn't blink.

"What's the matter Ade?" My dad asked.

"The boys..." She trailed, "kissing and groping..." She said with a confused frown on her pretty face.

It wasn't much of an explanation but it said enough.

Moments later, Ty and Clay walked into the kitchen, there was an awkwardness that they came with, but I didn't miss the glow on either face. They were happy.

"Clay," mom spoke, I could tell she was finding it hard to speak as she probably didn't know the right words, right reaction...

I didn't know too. My best friend and brother were gay? Or bisexual? And they were together? How did I miss that?

Being honest, I was a little pissed. Mainly because they both hid it from me but also because I loved Clay, in a romantic way. So I was jealous, sue me!

"...please leave." Mom said to Clay and he did as told, without a word.

Mom, dad and Ty were in the living room talking and I was obviously eavesdropping. I was indeed the nosiest person alive.

"So," mom started, pausing to release a shaky breath, "is this a thing where you're kissing boys now or is it just a one time thing?" Even I cringed by how the question came out.

Ty spoke, "it's a thing where I like boys now."

"God." I heard my dad sigh. My mom sighed too, once, twice.

"What about Olive then?" She asked.

Yeah, what about Olive?

I knew Clay liked Olive so much, when Ty came and swept her off her feet, I couldn't be happier. I thought Clay would now see me.

"I was confused," Ty explained, "I was denying what I am."

"Is this... Is this why you tried to take your own life?" Dad questioned.

"Not exactly, no. But it was one of the reasons why..." He paused, "I thought you guys would be disappointed in me-"

"Disappointed? Never!" Mom chuckled, "shocked? Hell yeah!" Dad joined in the laugh and I cringed, again. It all sounded awkward as heck.

"We love you son, and that'll never change..." I left then, there was nothing to listen to anymore.

Even though I was super mad at Clay for keeping this a secret, I was worried about him so I decided to check up on him. Well, his parents didn't overreact, he said. They were just worried about Tyler, especially with their son dying in a few weeks. I was worried about him too, but I've never seen him happier. I've never seen both of them so happy. Sometimes I just cussed at the universe for being a bitch! How can you destroy this?

But I guess bad things happen to good people sometimes.