We're just best friends

I toss Ruby a bag of crisps and dropped down on the carpet. We were rewatching Vampire Diaries, because she was obsessed with Damon.

The last two days have been hell, because I had to rewatch Vampire Diaries, yes.

"When are you going back home?" I questioned.

There was a short pause, "are you trying to get rid of me?"

I twisted my body to look at her, she was sitting on my bed, "yes." I told her. She pouted.

I sighed, "your parents are worried Rue."

"I'm fine." She shrugged. Are you though? Ruby has been hiding at my house since that day. And I understood all that was going on at home was hard for her but I couldn't stop thinking about Tyler. He needed her now more than ever.

"You can't hide here forever. And you can't wear my sweats everyday to school." I pointed out.

"Yes I can to both." She stubbornly said.

I climbed on the bed, "at least talk to your brother."

She sighed deeply, "I can't..." She croaked, "at least not now."

~

Mrs. Konty smiled when I entered the kitchen, she was looking better than she did the last time I saw her three days ago. She was smiling, her eyes twinkling as she did. She was wearing an apron as she made what seemed as dinner.

"Clay! I didn't know you were coming." She said, "good thing I made more than enough." She smiled widely.

I smiled back, "no it's okay, I already ate at home." I lied. She gave me a suspicious eye. I just didn't have much of an appetite. "I'm just here to get some of Ruby's things, I guess she'll be staying longer." I grinned nervously.

She showed me a touched smile, "you're a good kid Clay. I'm glad Ruby has you." She said pulling me into a hug. "Thank you for being there for her."

"Don't mention it." I said and left the kitchen.

I was going into Ruby's room when something stopped me, I spent a while staring at Tyler's bedroom door then I decided to check up on him.

I knocked but no response came. I pushed the door and entered. Tyler was on his bed, headphones shielding his ears from outside noise. His eyes were closed.

I studied him for a second, after concluding that he looked well, I turn to leave.

"You're not going to say anything?" His voice stopped me.

I wasn't. I didn't want to disturb his peace.

He removed his headphones and sat down, staring at me. He too looked much better than the last time I saw him. "I thought you were asleep." I explained.

"Well, I'm not." He shrugged.

There was an awkward silence that remained. "Are you okay?" I asked.

He showed me a tiny smile, "you ask that a lot, don't you?" He chuckled, "truth is, I don't know how I am." He shared and I was thankful he decided to share that with me.

I hesitated taking steps towards him, finally I was sitting with him on his bed. "It's okay to be lost sometimes." I said and we fell into a silence, I cleared my throat, awkwardly, "I'm here if you ever need to talk, or hang."

"Thanks," he paused, "I never thought I'd like any of my sister's boyfriends but-"

I was laughing mad, "your sister and I aren't a thing."

He seemed slightly confused, "you're not?"

"No. We're just best friends." I told him.

"Oh. Either way, she's lucky to have someone like you by her side."

I'm lucky to have her by my side.

I laughed it off.

Tyler frowned staring at my face, "you alright?"

I frowned at him.

"Your nose, it's bleeding." He pointed.

"Oh shit!" I wiped the blood with my hand, oh yeah, I was bleeding. "I better go." I excused myself and hurried out of the room.

~