You're not alone

Tyler and I put Ruby to bed, she was blacked out. After making sure she was alright, we left. We agreed on watching a movie.

Tyler made some popcorn and we sat in the living room, eyes glued to the screen. I was sitting on the carpet, and Tyler sat on the sofa, like before. We watched the movie in utter silence, only occasional cheers and laughs now and then.

Almost two hours later, the movie was done and the credits were rolling. But neither of us moved or said a word. I guess we both must've been lost in thoughts.

I was thinking about Tyler. He seemed good. Great, in fact. No one could guess that he tried to take his own life a week ago.

"Why did you do it?" I found myself asking.

I heard some shuffling on the sofa and then clearing of the throat followed. "I uhm, I was lonely." He said. "No one could guess." He laughed sadly, "I was always surrounded by people, I was popular at my school but I was always lonely." He explained. I felt a little pang in my chest, that was really sad. "I was far from family. I'd only see them once in a while..." He swallowed.

Tyler went to a boarding school outside the country that he didn't even come back on holidays, I could only imagine how lonely he'd be.

I twisted my body so that I was looking at him, I could see all the pain and sadness he felt painted on his face. I placed my hand on his, when his eyes flickered down to my face, I smiled.

"You're not alone anymore." I spoke from the heart.

His eyes were red and filled with tears. He chuckled as he wiped them, then he smiled a painful smile, "can I at least get a hug?" He said in a joking manner.

Of course. I got on my knees and pulled him into a comforting embrace.

He was looking a lot better after the hug. "Thanks man."

~

Mr. and Mrs. Konty gave me one last wave, huge smiles on their faces. "We'll miss you Clay." Mrs. Konty confessed.

"I'll miss you too Mrs. Kay." I smiled, "you too Mr. Kay." Mr. Konty smiled at me.

I walked to the driveway with Tyler and Ruby, they both seemed sad but Ruby was masking it, not as well as she thought she was though.

"I'll see you in a month." Tyler said hugging me.

"I'll keep in touch." I promised.

He hugged me tighter, "do you really have to go?" He whined.

I laughed but didn't respond. I wish I didn't have to. We pulled out of the hug and had a moment of staring at each other.

"Go, so I can speak with my best friend!" Ruby kicked Tyler in the leg and he took a few steps back, still staring at me. When he was at a safer distance she spoke, "you know you can just tell them the truth right?" She checked.

"I know," I smiled, "I... I don't want to alarm anyone."

"It's okay to let people worry about you, you know right?" She raised an eyebrow. I nodded. Mr. and Mrs. Konty had enough worrying to do with Tyler already, I didn't wanna add on that.

"I'll miss you." I told her, hugging her.

"What are you talking about? Told you I'll visit you every damn day." She reminded me.

"And I told you, you don't have to." I sighed, "promise me you'll keep living your life." She was hesitant, then she rolled her eyes and made a small cross on her chest, where her heart was, "and be careful. I'm not here to look after you so you have to take care."

She rolled her eyes, again. "Yeah, yeah."

"No, promise me. No more getting wasted at parties. No getting drinks from strangers-"

"Okay, relax, I promise."

I gave her one final hug, "keep this a secret." I whispered.

I glanced at Tyler who was looking at his feet, seeming down, "hey man!" I called to catch his attention, when I did I said, "just because I'm not here doesn't mean I'm not here, okay?"

He gave me a confused frown.

"You're not alone." I assured.