Chapter 9

⚠️ TRIGGER WARNING ⚠️
Minor abuse and fighting and mention of rape and homophobia

Lance's POV

As I walk down the hall I hear the sweet sound of strumming from a guitar. Huh did Keith put on one of my records? No I don't know that tune. I slowly creep up to my door. The door is cracked so I open it a little more making sure not to make a sound. Is that Keith!? There he was Keith sitting on my window seat, guitar in hand, eyes closed. He looked at peace as he strummed. Huh I didn't know he knew how to play. The guitars hum was sweet but a little sad. He looks so calm and a smile comes to my lips. It sounds amazing. Then he takes a breath and I raise my brow.

"My feet are aching, and your back is pretty tired." Wow my eyes go wide and my mouth drops. His voice is smooth not high but not low either, it's the perfect mix of the two. His eyes remain closed and he looks so at peace but lost at the same time.

"And we've drunk a couple bottles, babe and set our grief aside. The papers say it's doomsday. The button has been pressed." I stand there amazed.

"We're gonna nuke each other up boys, 'till old satan stands impressed. And here it is, our final night alive." Wow is all I can think right now.

"As the earth burns to the ground." I hear his voice pick up.

"Oh boy it's you that I lie with." His eyes shut tight as he sings higher and louder. I can't move or take my eyes off him. I'm stuck, frozen in my place eyes wide pink spread across my face. He looks so serious I wonder if he is singing about anyone in particular. I push that thought from my head.

"As the atom bomb lock in! Oh god, it's you I watch tv with! As the world, as the world caves in." That's where I saw him break. The emotions are flowing through his words and his face.

"You put your finest suit on, I paint my fingernails. Oh we're going out in style babe and everything's on sale." He begins to sing softly once again. My blush grows. His hair is up in a little ponytail his bangs falling on his face. The bandages on his face are stained red. I hope they don't hurt. His bangs cover his black eye. I don't know why that pissed me off so much. I still don't know what happened but I know I don't want him to go back to that place or person, maybe even people who hurt him. Wait is that what he's singing about? I feel my face drop.

"We creep up on extinction. I pull your arms right in. I weep and say "goodnight love" while my organs pack it in." He's singing lower now. He really does have a good range.

"And here it is, our final night alive." And here comes the the chorus again and his voice starts to pick up.

"And as the earth burns to the ground." I can tell this is real from the choke in his voice. He looks so out in the open so vulnerable. I kind of feel bad for listening with him being like this, so honest, and open. He doesn't even know I'm here witnessing this but it's so real and beautiful I can't look away. I can feel his emotions through the lyrics, his voice, everything even his face and poster. The way his hands shake as they strum. The way his pain seeps into his words.

"Oh boy it's you that I lie with!" And there it is again. Broken, completely shattered, pieces lying on the floor, that's what I see him as. Completely broken to the point it can't be fixed. He is like a shattered vase or a broken pencil at the bottom of a pencil case, broken, forgotten. I take back what I said he's not broken beyond repair just doesn't have the right person to come and take the time to fix him. People just see the fact he broke so they replaced him instead of taking the time to fix him. Like a eraser less pencil or a soup gone cold, instead of warming it up they just throw it away. I can kind of understand that, people always look at my happy go lucky personality and just assume I'm always happy. They look at me and think I'm annoying then they leave. They stay when they need me for something and when they don't need me anymore they drop me. They don't care to get to know me or see what's underneath.