Chapter 5 Part 1: Projecting Yourself

TOM'S QUARTERS / AVENGERS: PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY - The next day

The alarm clock blared its clarion call into the quiet of the room. Loki jerked awake at its intrusion into his tormented sleep. Slowly the garish images that taunted him during the night faded back into his dreams, nightmares far worse than the day prior. Almost all sprang from the revelation of his Jotun heritage and his feelings of betrayal and abandonment. He sat up and buried his head in his hands, again wishing he allowed the TVA to prune him instead.

Once the initial disorientation wore off three other images surfaced in his mind, memories of his first day on Midgard coming back to him as gentle as a whisper on the morning breeze.

You speak as if you trust me.

I choose to trust you because you need someone to give you the opportunity to be a good person.

All he told me was to trust Loki.

Those words were anything but coincidence after the events of the previous night. Loki gave a single silent chuckle, marveling at the man's persistence.

LOKI: Good morning to you too.

TOM: Call it a reminder that we're in this together, including how we deal with those blasted nightmares. Let's get ready for the day.

Groaning under his breath, Loki stood and plodded toward the shower where he hoped to finish waking up. He turned the faucet on to give the shower head a minute to reach full strength. Spiriting his clothes away to the hamper, he stepped into the shower to let the stream fall over his face.

The water held a refreshing power unrivaled by other means, as the worst of the tension from last night washed away down the drain. He reflected a while longer on the previous night's conversation before soaping up and rinsing off. Loki knew now what drove the man from the sacred timeline.

LOKI: I think I understand the character well enough to try today's scene myself.

TOM: That's your call, if you think you're ready.

LOKI: I believe I am. If you want honesty, I think we might be ahead to shoot the scenes according to the unique strengths each of us bring. You have all of the training that will allow you the fine emotional control of each character we play, while as a warrior I can perform any scene that requires fighting or other action.

TOM: You want to handle the pure physicality, then.

LOKI: I certainly could.

TOM: That sounds like a very practical way of dividing the responsibility. We can discuss it more this morning while we're in the makeup chair.

Turning the water off, he dried himself with a spell and stepped out of the shower. Selecting from Tom's personal clothing, he dressed and started the rest of the day's routine.

He ate the same breakfast as yesterday; only today Loki ate it with a cell phone in his hand to let Tom catch up with emails. It was the first opportunity Tom had for this since the accident, as the last time either operated the phone was yesterday in Tony's presence. Loki didn't check his own, knowing it was too soon to expect progress from the scientists researching the Tesseract.

Makeup progressed normally as Loki waited for the technician to apply the hairpieces and the dark raccoon eyes the opening sequences demanded. The costume also came together as it had the day prior, piece by piece until the whole ensemble was complete. At last finished with breakfast, makeup, and wardrobe, Loki entered the set for his first day as an actor.