Chapter 8 Part 1: Team Mischief

TOM'S QUARTERS / AVENGERS: PRINCIPAL PHOTOGRAPHY - A couple days later

Loki ate his breakfast deep in contemplation. Tom and Robert remained somber as they shot the rest of the Stark Tower scene in the days that followed the loss of Andrew. Loki kept his thoughts shielded from Tom as he brainstormed to create a plan for improving their morale. The other man said nothing about Loki blocking his thoughts, which Loki recognized as a choice to respect Loki's privacy with all he'd been through.

Today the cast and crew planned to film the forest fight between Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America. Loki wasn't on the call sheet for today's portion of that scene, but he knew from the script that the Loki character hid above the fray watching the three of them and learning how to turn their interpersonal dynamics to his advantage. If Loki chose his own actions carefully, he could strengthen the team bonds between all of the primary actors... including Tom.

After reflecting on the possibilities, Loki opted to go with what he did best and to involve Tom in the process. Several of the Midgardian's memories suggested he would be a willing partner in mischief.

LOKI: How much trouble would we get into if I played a prank on the others?

TOM: I doubt anyone would mind as long as it's not harmful or destructive. Depending on what you have planned I'd be willing to help.

LOKI: Really. If you were the one playing a prank on them today, what would you do?

Loki brightened as he listened to Tom's ideas for several minutes. Tom shared many good ones, and it would be a shame to let them go to waste. Between the ideas each man brought to the discussion, they could play pranks on the others for weeks. Today they agreed they should start with something simple and harmless.

A short while after their conversation Loki snuck down to the blue screen set in his real hair and clothes, ready to spring their first piece of mischief on the others. He waited out of sight of everyone while the group completed three takes of the actors sparring, allowing them to become comfortable in the day's schedule.

Loki conjured a large movie theater tub of popcorn in his hand and crept onto the high rock outcrop overlooking the scene. He quietly sat down with the popcorn tub in his lap and watched them trade carefully choreographed blows.

Several more takes later, Brian turned from his spot next to the primary camera to look directly at him. Loki placed a single finger in front of his mouth without a sound. The director understood, shaking his head as he returned his attention to the actors below.

LOKI: Incredible. Eight takes and the only person who has seen us is Brian. We can't exactly hide up here.

TOM: All the better for our plan. I am ready for Operation Peanut Gallery if you are.

LOKI: I am always ready for chaos.

Loki plucked a handful of popcorn from the tub and tossed a few kernels at a time toward the actors. For several minutes no one noticed popcorn raining down around them. When a couple of kernels fell directly in front of the face of Chris Evans, Chris blinked at the white blur and glanced around in several directions to find the source. Satisfied to finally get a reaction, Loki threw a dozen more kernels for good measure.

At last Chris Hemsworth saw him on his perch. "Ah, Brother," he sighed with an impish twinkle in his eyes, "are you telling us that we do not entertain you enough?" In reply, Loki flung a whole handful of popcorn their way.

Robert broke into laughter at seeing Loki seated on the rock ledge gleefully throwing popcorn at them. "Cleanup needed in theater two," he mimicked.

Between Loki's antics and the fast comeback humor of his co-stars, Chris Evans joined in the laughter. "That's good, Tom," Chris said as everyone in the room enjoyed the merriment Loki created. "Hope you're enjoying your view from the cheap seats."

TOM: The secondary camera is getting everything. This could end up on the outtake reel.

LOKI: Is that a good thing?

TOM: Outtakes can be quite funny. Some people think they're one of the best parts of making a film.

LOKI: Then it's decided. We should pull more pranks on your colleagues.

TOM: Count me in.