3: Olivia

November, 2018

"Oh," I said, feeling a slight blush stealing my face as I turned back towards the cove. "Just a thing I got overseas."

Sometimes I still struggled to mention the places I had gone. Even now, just thinking of the mark on my back, thinking of my fairy form... my stomach churned and his face flashed through my mind... Russet and warm, then stormy and blue.

Desperate to forget, I continued paddling as Marli continued to not say anything.

But, by the time I reached the slimy rock and made my awkward ascent out of the water, swishing and sloshing sounds echoed behind me.

Marli was following.

I didn't wait for her as I scurried over the scorching rock towards our things under the shaded tree. I merely picked up my towel and started drying my body, wanting to ensure the sunscreen didn't simply slough off my skin the moment I applied it.

"That's a," she said as she picked up her own towel, desperately rubbing at her body, "very interesting design."

I cocked a curious eyebrow as I glanced at her, wondering what her tone meant. "I saw it in a book..." I mumbled. I mean, I wasn't lying. It certainly was in the books we read as kids... though as actual wings instead. Was she recognising it?

"Where did you get it?"

My lips pressed together as the crease formed on my forehead. She knew I hated mentioning specifics. "I told you."

"In Ireland?" she pressed.

"I..."

Oh no... She does recognise it from the books, I deduced. I need to think of something. I need to sway her thoughts so that she doesn't start thinking fairies are real... Or that I'm delusional for following that path.

"No, in London," I forced a laugh.

But she didn't buy it. That was clear as day on her face. Taking a step closer, she leaned in, eyes examining me. "Ollie..." was all she said.

I shifted slightly back, avoiding her eye contact as she seemed to search my soul. "What?"

"Did you get it in Ireland? At the castle?"

"The castle?" I barked. Scoffing, I crossed my arms over my chest and dramatically flicked my hair—it was the most emotion I had exerted in ages. "What are you saying, Marli?"

But rather than responding, her hand whipped out. Fingers clenching around my arm, she leaned in even closer to me.

"What are you—" I started to say, but the words got lost in my throat when her eyes began to glow amber.

As her gaze shone brighter and brighter, I found myself falling through the tunnel, tripping into worlds of autumnal spirals and whispers from every direction.

The only thing ripping me back to reality was an all too familiar voice, musically whispering in my ear, "Olivia."

I blinked once, then twice, before yanking my hand from her hold. "What the fuck did you just do to me?" I demanded, heart pounding as his voice played on repeat in my head.

It sounded just like him.

But it can't be. It's impossible.

"You are," she breathed back.

"Am what?" I implored, still a little miffed about whatever trick she had performed that had resurfaced so many depths of pain and memories.

The corners of her lips turned up, eyes lighting up with delight this time. "You're a Terra Fairy!"

Alarmed, I took a step back, already shaking my head as I barked, "A what?"

"I mean, I thought it was weird when you asked me for a picture of the castle. But you seemed so... normal when you came back. I thought for sure I'd sense your magic. Though you hide it so well."

"Sensed..." I pressed my lips together as I tried to figure out what she was saying... and what she may already know.

"Obviously you've transformed if you've got the tattoo."

My mouth opened and closed several times as her words fully sunk into my head. But eventually I found my voice, and eventually I managed to squeak, "You know about Terra Fairies?"

Pearly whites shone back at me as she took another step closer. "Oh, Ollie... of course I do. Why do you think my auntie sent us off on that mission? It was part of my learning to prepare for becoming what I am."

"And you are?" I pressed, still wondering what mind trick she had just done to me. I was almost certain I still had all my memories... at least from right now. Sure, I had become a little dizzy like I had when Lukas's mum took my memories, but... I felt like I went to another plane when Marli had stared at me.

"I'm Anjea," she grinned back.