44: Lukas

June, 2019

Things between Olivia and I were, once again, a little awkward.

On our way to dinner and back that night, we took another waterbus. With Olivia not yet over her fear, she reached for my hand again as her safety net, and I took it without much reluctance. Though it was hard to make eye contact or think of anything to discuss as we ate our meals together after our moment of skinship. Then, once again, on the boat ride back, she clutched onto me out of habit—yet that time she held onto my wrist, which only made us more stiff with each other.

So, the next day as we began our early start of our journey to Bologna, after taking our seats on the waterbus, this time I held my hand out to her first.

She stared at my gesture for a moment, her cheeks once again flushing red as her heart emitted that expected rush. But whatever resolve she came to, eventually she slipped her hand in mine before turning her head towards the ground and closing her eyes.

The journey from Venice to Bologna passed quickly, with Ollie filling the silence by gushing about how beautiful she believed Venice was. Though given her waffling when she was talking and fidgeting in the quiet moments, I assumed something had her on edge. I couldn't help wondering if it was the prospect of bringing Ben back that consumed her. Though I never asked her, not wishing to add to whatever anxious thoughts were brewing.

Once we pulled up at our destination though, this time we didn't find a hotel and settle into a room. We merely whipped out the card and summoned the Cursed Cauldron's witch straight away... which did not go as we hoped.

"Yes?" Circe answered, voice booming around the car as the card hovered in the air between us.

"We are in Bologna," Ollie replied, hesitancy in her voice as though she too could sense this would not go smoothly.

And then... "Why are you telling me... Oh! Yes! We were supposed to meet. Oh, my child... I'm afraid I've moved on."

Ollie's nostrils flared and she took a deep breath before she forced through gritted teeth, "Where are you now?"

"There's this beautiful festival tonight in a small town in the hills called Mascioni. I'll be camping out by the lake with some fellow witches. Come join us!"

And before we could pry further, the card fell back down into her lap.

At once, I began to punch in the new town into our navigation system, and we both grimaced at the four and a half hour journey ahead of us as it loaded the fastest route.

Though rather than complaining, Ollie merely said, "Let's stop somewhere nice for lunch. A restaurant this time instead of service station food."

Glancing her way, I threw her a small smile before agreeing, "That sounds like a great idea." I had officially let go any part of me that was determined to make her let this adventure go.

· · ───── ∘☽༓☾∘ ───── · ·

"I thought mutants generally had great vision," Olivia stated as we stared out at the still, pink and purple water, the sky above mirroring its hues. The setting sun glowed on sections of the lake, making it reflect the mountainous surroundings.

"They do," I mumbled back, feeling stunned myself as I took in the emptiness around us. A barren lake. Vacant grasslands. Only us and a speckling of sheep as far as my eyes could see... and it was quite far.

"Then tell me something is wrong with me. Tell me you see a group of witches somewhere."

I heaved a sigh before I turned to face her. Though instead of responding to her statement, "We should see if there's anywhere to stay here tonight."