32: Lukas

May, 2019

Two emerald eyes stared at me with unbridled hatred. "So this whole time, you were simply trying to make up for what you failed to do?" she asked me.

I tried to speak. I tried to defend myself and my decisions. I tried to tell her, shout at her, that this was all her idea. But my voice was trapped, unable to leave my mouth.

"I'm done with this. I'm done with you," she then said as she shook her head.

No, don't give up, I wanted to reply. But once again, my words never made it out.

"All your love has done is destroy lives," she threw at me before hanging up the phone. Pivoting on her heel, I watched her leave my vision, all the while tears poured in relentless streams down my face. My heart tore in two as I banged on the glass, begging her to come back.

And then my eyes flew open to the darkness.

Watermelon.

Vanilla.

Hibiscus.

The first thing I noticed was her scent embedded in the pillow beneath my head, quickly followed by the silver bangle on the bedside table.

Though unlike the last time I woke up remembering she had returned, this time the desperate urge to leap out of bed and find her didn't consume me.

In fact, for a moment, I started to wonder if there was a way out without being noticed.

I could climb through the window... sneak out the backyard and jump through the neighbours' yards until I found a way back to the street.

I could just walk up those stairs and out the front door, ignoring anyone who tried to stop me. It's not like they'd be fast enough if I ran.

Rolling onto my back to stare at the ceiling, I heaved a deep sigh.

How pathetic do you want to seem, Lukas? You were all over her last night and this morning and then the moment you're actually feeling yourself you run?

With that, I decided it was time to brave my decisions that had brought me to this point. Throwing the blanket off me and my legs onto the floor, I took another deep breath before getting to my feet.

Though before I exited her room, I stopped by the mirror to glance in, stupidly fixing my hair as though it mattered. But as I realised how ridiculous my actions were, I pivoted away and out of the room, taking the stairs two at a time until I was on the ground floor.

I didn't listen out for where she was, not wanting to give myself the opportunity to overthink anything. Instead, I strutted through the rooms with purpose, as if I belonged here. As if this were just another day.

When I finally came across Theodora cozied up on the couch by the TV—though the other two sirens nowhere in sight—her head immediately turned up in my presence.

As my mouth opened to ask the anticipated question, she was quick to give me the answer, "You just missed her."

"What do you mean I just—"

"She headed out."

"Out where?"

"Patrolling."

"Pat—"

"Looking for Mades."

My mind raced with questions, but none of them had use with the person in front of me. So instead, I asked the one necessary. "When you say just—"

"About a minute ago."

"Thanks, Thea."

And, this time, I ran.