28: Lukas

May, 2019

The malty, frothy liquid swirled in my glass as I pondered getting something even harder. But before I followed that thought through, I brought the beverage to my lips and downed the rest of my drink.

Hand raised to call the bartender over, this time I requested something that would work faster. And he merely nodded, even though this would be my fifteen drink tonight.

While he was surprised to see me when I stumbled back in here a few hours on from leaving Emma's place, he clearly hadn't forgotten me as he poured me a pint of ale.

I had barely gotten halfway through my drink when a figure took the seat to my right, her familiar midnight hair filling my peripherals.

"Go away," I slurred before emptying my drink and calling for another.

As the bartender mixed me another, he paused to ask Erica if she required anything. I expected her to turn him down. But she asked for whatever I was having.

"You won't like it," I told her.

"Why?"

"Because it's a gin and coke."

"I'll live," she said with narrowed eyes, but I could see the slight discontent clouding her gaze.

"How did you find me?"

"Emma told me what happened. So I searched all the places you could be."

"She told you?"

"Mhmm."

"How much?"

"Nothing detailed. Just... the gist of it. So... do you want to tell me the full details?"

"What does it matter?" I sighed as I swirled the ice in my glass, staring at the bubbling brown liquid as I wondered how I had ended up here again.

"Because I'm your closest friend who will drag you through any heartache. And you don't push me away anymore, remember?"

I gave her a shrug. "Look where talking got me."

"Tell me the details, Lukas. How did you two end up like this?"

I was quiet for an immeasurable amount of time, watching the bubbles pop in my drink as though it would tell me my fortune. As though it had explanations as for how we did end up like this. But I came out blank. All I knew was, "She asked me to kiss her."

"As in—"

"Yup. On the mouth."

"So? Did you?"

· · ───── ∘☽༓☾∘ ───── · ·

A Couple of Hours Ago

While a part of me had a sinking feeling she meant something else, I didn't hesitate to press my lips to her forehead.

"No," she whispered as I pulled away, tired, watery eyes meeting mine. "On the mouth."

I took one deep breath before I asked her, "You want to cement the bond?"

She didn't respond with anything other than a more determined look, her brows pulling together, her gaze begging me to do what she asked.

You'll lose her if you don't, my mind whispered. This is what she needs... This will assure her of what she means to you. And this... this will help you finally let go of her.

So, without asking again, I leaned in, taking my time to reach her lips in case she wanted to tell me to stop.

Her body shook under my hold as my breath met her mouth. The tears were streaming down her face now as she clamped her eyes shut.