Chapter 11

When Louis finally returned to his and Liam's dorm, he took his well-needed shower before lying down on his bed. He had a hard time shaking off the encounters he'd had with alphas today. Going for a run had helped at the time, but he felt it was all for nothing when he faced Derek and Harry afterward. He wasn't used to interacting with three alphas in one day, especially not being harassed by two.

But even if his mind wanted to keep going through the day's events, he tried to focus on Liam when he explained what had happened with Zayn.

It turned out Zayn had told him about his insecurities, which Louis was slightly surprised about. He thought Zayn was too much of a macho guy to express his feelings to someone he barely knew, but apparently he wasn't.

Louis had been right; Zayn was afraid of being alone. He had been dating Gigi since only a few months into the first term of university, so she had become a safe space for him, even though he hadn't felt romantically for her in a long time. Liam had asked why he had stayed with her when he found out she had cheated on him, and Zayn's reply was the same; he was scared of being alone.

They had also talked about what happened at the party and why, and it turned out Zayn'd had his eyes on Liam for a while. He found him attractive, but he had been too afraid to do something about it since he didn't want to ruin things with Gigi if it turned out Liam didn't return his feelings. Liam tried to tell him he could have at least talked to him and tried to get to know him, and Zayn admitted that he was right. "I guess I was too much of a coward," he had added.

Eventually, Zayn agreed to end things with Gigi. He understood what Liam meant when he said it wasn't fair to either of them if things escalated quickly between him and Zayn. He also told Zayn that he was interested and had been since the first time he laid eyes on him, which relaxed the alpha. "And if this for some reason doesn't end the way we want it to, I'll always be your friend. I'm not leaving you that easily," Liam had reassured him.

When Liam told him these words had brought a smile to Zayn's lips, Louis started wondering how close he was to Harry and his other friends. If Zayn was afraid of being alone, he doubted they had a strong bond, and the way Harry and Derek had treated each other earlier only added to his speculations.

Once Liam was finished explaining what had happened, they both went down to watch a series with Destiny, and only two hours after that, they went to bed.

The following days went easier than Louis expected. He didn't find himself in any unwanted situations, and he managed to stay away from Harry. It probably wouldn't have been as easy if the alpha didn't seem determined to stay away from Louis as well. They barely glanced at each other when they crossed paths in the hallways, and they both made sure to breathe through their mouths.

The alpha who had harassed Louis on several occasions didn't make any appearance either, but every time Louis thought about him, he could feel uncomfortable shivers running down his spine. It wasn't only because he had sexually assaulted and harassed him but also because of the question he had asked the other day. If the alpha had been observant enough to notice that Louis didn't react to Harry's alpha voice, he could have picked up that Louis and Harry had emitted sex pheromones because of each other, and that didn't sit well with Louis. But so far, the alpha had stayed quiet, and he hoped it would continue that way.

Derek was the only alpha of the three who had paid attention to Louis since that day. Louis had felt the alpha glance at him several times in the hallway while talking to Harry, Zayn, Josh, Caleb and Zack. He didn't know what to think of it. The glances weren't threatful or rude in any way, but the only alpha who had ever appeared somewhat respectful to him was Harry, so he wasn't used to it, but Derek had at least not talked to him, and Louis hoped he wouldn't.