Chapter 14

The next day, Louis was yet again unfortunate to sit at the table next to Nathalie and her friends in the cafeteria, and he could hear them just as well as yesterday. It was insufferable; the way they talked about the pack leader as if he was a trophy to win. It was also degrading, mainly to themselves. He didn't understand how they could have such low self-evaluation that they were satisfied by just getting something from the pack leader.

On the other hand, Louis realized he wasn't much better sometimes. He had given in to his desire on too many occasions, but the difference was that he didn't strive to get anything from Harry. He didn't want anything to do with him. It was only the connection his omega had with his alpha that made them interact.

Louis wasn't going to lie, though. Over the last few weeks, he had established that Harry wasn't as bad as he thought. Sometimes he could even see why so many people looked up to him. He wasn't an awful alpha. If anything, he was respectful, not overstepping boundaries without consent. Louis could give him that.

What he couldn't give him, however, was the way he still took advantage of his authority. Even if he was respectful, he treated omegas like puppets, as if there wasn't more to them than their bodies. Louis didn't like that. He also didn't like that Harry's first instinct was to blame Louis for everything happening between them when they were both at fault. In all honesty, there were many things he still couldn't stand about Harry, and he wasn't sure if that would ever change.

Most times, Harry was a mystery to Louis. There was something about him that Louis couldn't put his finger on. The way he would never smile genuinely, the way he sometimes decided not to reply when asked a question, and the way he made his way around the subject when he answered questions. Louis had noticed it before, but it was becoming more prominent.

"How was it yesterday, Nat? You have to tell us everything."

If Louis could press his fingers to his ears without looking ridiculous, he would have. He didn't want to hear her say how good Harry was in bed, how amazing it was to be scented by him, or how satisfied and content it made her feel.

"He didn't want me to say too much," she stated, making Louis furrow his brows. "But it was mind-blowing, and he promised me it would happen again."

There was a smugness to her tone that made Louis cringe. At the same time, he couldn't help but wonder if Harry usually promised he would sleep with an omega again, or if it was a one-time thing. He told himself he shouldn't care. If Harry decided to have sex with Nathalie again, it didn't apply to him.

"Of course it was," one of the girls said lovingly. "I wouldn't expect anything else. It's Harry we're talking about."

A few of the other girls agreed with a hum.

"I find it interesting that he didn't want you to talk about it," another said, and Louis recognized her as the omega who had questioned Nathalie before, Alice. "Did he say why?"

There was a pause before Nathalie replied, "Obviously because he doesn't want our sex life to be known by everyone. It's between me and him."

"Funny that he's never had a problem with it before then, as you all seem to know how good he is and what he prefers in bed," Alice said.

Her comment made Louis' lips twitch, and he realized he wanted to get to know this omega. Every word coming out of her mouth seemed very well thought-out, reminding him a lot of Destiny.

"Maybe that means he wants me to be more to him than every other omega," Nathalie muttered, clearly pissed off.

"Yet he's openly scented other omegas while you've had something going on," Alice scoffed.