Chapter Four

The sounds of laughter died as the sounds of my heels echoed through the hall. The pack bowed their heads in shame, Natalie felt no shame though as she fluttered up to me and did a full spin to showcase her dress.
        "Isn't it beautiful Sera?" Everyone gasped in shock, some even in disgust. To call a Luna by their name, a nickname at that, without their permission was one of the most social disrespectful things one could do and an omega at that. I wanted to hit her to teach her a lesson but it wasn't my problem. I planned to leave anyway. I just stared at her with a blank face until she retested back to Victor who tucked her protectively behind him. He was furious for some reason, perhaps because I simply existed but he remained calm.
              "Explain your self Luna. We're have been waiting for ages." His bitter attitude was nothing new, in fact it annoyed me more than upset me. I simply ignored him and walked to the door. He was now visibly angered as he grabbed my wrist tightly. "Answer when you're alpha speaks." His tone low and loaded with dissatisfaction. However I stood my ground, I would not be his toy to bat around and boost his ego.
        When I refused to react how he wanted he tried to raise a hand to me but Nikolai stopped him. "Let's go, Alpha. Now is not the time."
               Victor agreed dropping my bruising wrist and taking Natalia in his other arm. It ain't to see him be capable of love when all I ever knew was cruelty. I didn't let the pack see my tear as I quickly excited the house.
          The ride was excruciating as Victor and his mistress talked in a childish voice and made passionate kissing sounds. The only brought side was I no longer felt even a tingle of pain when he brazenly cheated on me. Nikolai was uncomfortable, his good upbringing made him know it was wrong but his loyalty pledge bound him to his Alpha's will.
             I tried to tune them out, to focus on things that brought me hot when I sudden saw those jasper eyes again and startled myself. Everyone looked at me curiously but I just pulled my hood tighter to hide my blushing face.
           We got to the event in one piece, Victor was soothing Natalia as she pretended to sob pitifully. It was like watch a drama but instead of amusement I felt irritation.
          "I'll be watching you my love!" She cried out as a Nikolai dragged her away. I pitied that man. He was a designated babysitter at this point. He had to follow his alpha's order, keep Victor in line and guide Natalia without occurring her wrath. All to ensure the world didn't look down on our pack, I almost felt guilty. Tonight would be a spectacular day indeed, for me that is.
           Victor looked at me with disinterest as he lazily set his hand out. "Come." His tone of voice struck a special nerve. I walked ahead without him and found our spot in line. He was angry as he came in behind but now that we were public he couldn't express it. He leaned into my ear ” get that ridiculous cloak off, you're embarrassing me."
               I took great pleasure in his contorted expression as I dropped the cloak casually revealing my personalized apparel. The Lunas around marvelled at my gown, the alphas whispered amongst themselves at our different outfit choices. It was an expectation for mated pairs to match, our different outfits was equivalent to a press conference publicans stating disharmony in the dynamic.
          Despite the small side the event started without a hitch. A stout elderly man with rosy cheeks and a gruff old wind with a bored expression took to a stage, how voice booming and clear without the need for a microphone.
                 "Welcome brothers and sisters, we gather to honor our race and the almighty Moon goddess whom gifted us since the beginning times. May those with the goddess's blessing be fruitful and may those still in search find their peace."
           His words echoed in my hollow heart. I had never received a blessing. Only a parasite.
                  The old woke brought me back to reality with a rumbling howl. It was like hearing absolute, raw power. That was the power of an elder. The elders were rumored to possess magical abilities, very few wolves carried the gene of true magic but those that did could sell apprenticeship with an elder to someday find their place. I was a gifted healer but I kept my gift to myself, the life of an elder was one full of constant restraint and selflessness. A noble life but not for one who seeks personal freedom. If the elders knew they would force me to be a priestess in the The Night mother's temple of if I refused to be an elder. Though could the life of a priestess be any less constricting than my current life.
          The cheery old man laughed and began the ceremonial march. The sound of the ancestral drum beating always filled me with pride. This time I feel lighter, more confident. I almost forgot about Victor until he pulled me to him sharply.
         "Where the fuck is your dress, you're making me look like I cant control my Luna." He smiled outwardly but he spoke through clenched teeth.
           I found his superior attitude amusing, he claimed I ruined his image but when they saw him with Natalia I would have been the fool. "I trashed it." It wasn't entirely true but it also wasn't false.
             "Have you lost your damned mind? Are you acting this way because of Natalia?! If you are, you need to grow the hell up."
          I clenched my fist tightly. "I would never waste my time on feeling anything to do with your little mistress." I kept my distance from Victor. My mind fuzzy with the maddening thoughts he caused just by existing.
         As we entered the castle I slipped away. My mind already tired but my heart racing, it felt exhilarating to do something for myself.
               Soon the ball room doors opened and each pair was announced before entering. Every pair came in cuddled up and cozy, every pair except for us. I hadn't intended to enter without him and found myself standing alone. As they announced my name the room became silent. I looked at Victor frozen but his angered expression made me feel bold as I strutted confidently without him.
        Victor chuckled nervously as the called his name sometime after mine. He quickly slunk to Nikolai's side, even from the distance I could tell he was complaining about me. Nikolai nodded as if he was listening but I could tell he agreed with me. Natalia looked at me with envious eyes, she wanted attention and my rebellion had put my name on everyone's tongue. I smiled victoriously as I grabbed a glass of champagne and waltzed carefree to an outside terrace.
           This night was the most fun I had since my run through the forest. I stood dreaming about my days off freedom when I made my full intentions known to the elders. I lost myself in thought until a strangely familiar scent hit me. Earthy with a touch of spice. I sound around in stock to see those inviting Jasper eyes looking back at me now.
                "Hello Ms. Luna."