Chapter Two - Volume 2

Anya looked at me, her eyes reflecting concern for my feelings. "How are you holding up Sera?"   
            I looked at her and tried to smile but she knew it was all a facade and hugged me tightly. I sobbed silently in her embrace. I thought I had let it go but the pain remained and weighed me down with guilt. I pulled away and smiled, genuinely as I felt better with a friend by my side. She took the twins to hunt while Brock and I protected camp. We had gotten closer with time, he didn't talk much but he shared a few words and I learned more about him through our travels.  He was more of a lover than a fighter but was fierce when he was protecting his loved ones. He liked to craft things and enjoyed gardening. He always watered flowers we passed and if we spent enough time somewhere he tried to plant things. He also loved food but he was kind and would eat the left overs to ensure everyone was full.
             I handed him some jerky I had saved and he ate it with enthusiasm.  "Thank you." He mumbled shyly.
                      I smiled.  "No problem." I sat there.  Lost in thought. "Where would be the perfect place to call home. " I didn't expect an answer as we sat in silence but Brock surprised me.
             "Good farm land. We can garden and raise livestock."
           I looked at him and his longing expression.  Anya was the main hunter, leading him alone.  Raising life stock was costly but over all a good idea for our pack.  The elders ration land and resources,  the most stable and productive packs get more while the smaller ones tend to fend for themselves but every new alpha is given a fair starter amount.  There are exceptions,  the Rogue City was self sufficient and imported things they lacked because their alpha never registered. I use to have reserves about registering.  Running an official pack takes time and I would have to report everything to the elders, I also had to appoint a beta to register. Erik was a possibility but he was reluctant and we didn't have a strong bond. Anya wanted to be my personal gaurd. Brock was much to timid and hated conflict. I sighed softly as my mind slowly sank in the sea of thoughts. I kept a smile on my face as we ate, watched Anya put the twins down for bed and even chatted with her until she went to bed. I couldn't shake the thoughts that plagued me though. I shifted, hoping to feel free once again.
         It was therapeutic to feel the cool grass against my paws and the chill of autumn. The days were growing colder, resources would be harder for us as they hibernated. I wasn't sure what to do in the winter season. I shook my weary head to erase those thoughts for a moment and ran through the thin trees. The air in my fur and the smell of nature helped clear my worries away.
               I found myself at a creek I use to play in as a child. It felt so similar but so much had changed. That was the beauty of life though. What could feel so nostalgic could change so much you wouldn't believe it. Like watching a seed turn into a tree, you remember the seed fondly but you can't deny it changed and though you miss the seed you can appreciate the tree all the same. That's how I felt.
             I lapped up the cool creek water and watched as my subtle reflection danced in the ripples. I snorted softly and batted at my image in amusement. As it settled I was startled by Davion with his brilliant, lonely eyes and moonlit ebony fur. He said nothing and nodded for me to follow. I didn't forgive him for the things he did but I couldn't deny the calm that would wash over me when he was around. I couldn't deny I missed him.
          We strolled through nature, a steady pace only enough to feel the breeze through our fur. I forgot how nice it was with everything going on. Being a new alpha, gathering allies and training my energy left me little time to smell the flowers. We stopped at a well lit clearing. Looking at him, under the moonlight serenaded with the sounds of nature I couldn't help but feel our attraction grow stronger. I lost my senses for a moment as we tangled in the night. From beast to man we remained one, lost in the love I had tried so hard to deny. Maybe it was the stress or the full moon but I let go of everything to the pleasure. As we stayed together the whole night the faded image of the full moon remained serene and magical.
          I awesome the next morning, my head pounding and my legs weak. The memories of the night played in my mind causing my cheeks to burn a bright pink. I looked around to find myself alone, I felt disappointed until I touched a neatly tucked letter under a bouquet of wood flowers:
               My dearest goddess,

           I don't know if you remember last night as fondly as I do but I will never forget it. You are a goddess. My true mate. I hated to part with you but there is movement on the coast. The elders have summoned us both but I told them to give you time to rest. Meet me at the castle when you're able.
                            ~yours truly, Davion
           I smiled fondly as I caressed the bouquet. He was a gentleman indeed. I stood up feeling more refreshed than ever. I let the flowers blow in the wind with a lighter heart as I walked back to my camp, ready for every challenge left to come.