Chapter Fourteen

We traveled for two months, through the forests that surrounded the great northern mountains and meet several packs. Many listened to our warnings, they were small and lived their lives off the land but they agreed to be vigilant and defend their homes. Our greatest challenge came from the Moss Wood Pack. Their alpha was a mountain of a man with thick wild hair and fiery amber eyes, he was mighty and simple minded. Defend his territory. I found it noble yet frustrating as his territory was the only safe way to the north.
         "For the last time Dirrick! Move!" We had been at a stalemate for three days before I found myself ready to fight him.
        He laughed a hearty laugh. He was a good man but stubborn. "No one goes to the North. I treat it as my home away from home."
           Anita was frustrated as well as she slammed her small hands on the dining table. "You treat us like guests but truthfully you are stalling. Why won't you grant us passage?!"
                 He looked at her and stroked his lush beard. "You're a fiery spirit, I respect that indeed."
        We had lived three days comfortably but as hostages. He wouldn't let us leave and kept tabs on our every move. On the fourth day I felt ready to send an axe through his head. We kept patient because he was the only one ready to fight for the whole werewolf lands but his strange desire to contain us left me boiling to a point I didn't mind losing an ally. I refused to give into my murderous desire as he remained a gracious host.
           On the fifth day we found ourselves bright to his audience hall. It was simple but held a natural beauty with large open windows pouring in the natural light and a fresh woodsy smell radiated that put us at ease. He sat up high on an old throne carved from a living tree, he looked almost mystical as the bright leaves crowned him so perfectly. His booming voice was as warm as ever, "so, you seek access to the north."
         I stepped up. "Yes, we were told to travel to the North. A friend said we would find more help."
              He looked at me quite curiously. His thick fingers stroking his beard as he pondered something deeply. "The North will not aide you, not anyone. They do not live for others, only themselves. I know that much to be true."
        Anya looked at him shocked. "You said it was like a home away from home!"
        "That I did, and it rings with truth but only for me. Others gave never returned or returned as corpses. I set my territory here to protect hopeful travelers."
          I was never told much about the north, it wasn't beneficial information and was almost entirely forgotten. Their own alpha refused to attend the Gala and always sent their beta. This was always a sore spot for the elders so others wrote them off, no one allied with them. Despite this I felt something draw me to the north. After Davion suggested it the north was my one true destination.
          "Then let me go." I had to go, something called to me and I couldn't risk my friends.
                Derrick looked at me curiously while Anya protested in vain. "Alright young one, if you feel so resolute I will show only you to go. Do not say I didn't warn you though young one."
         We were led back to our chambers where Anya shouted until she turned a shade of purple. Brock carried a more grave silence as he watched us.
              "We need to go to the north! There's something important there otherwise why would he send us there?!"
        "Because they're monsters Sera!" Anya trembled as years sung her eyes. "They left me to die when I rejected Jack. They left me in no man's land." She clutched her shoulders as the memories came. "I was so alone...in so much pain. I-I thought they were my family, they'd understand...I thought they would be on my side. Their Luna... That witch. She told me everything would be ok, she'd protect me. She was the one who made the command." She looked at me seriously. "He watched it all happen to, with a wicked grin. He watched as they grabbed me, beat me and through me to the barren wasteland bordering our world and the abyss."
           I felt my heart seize. I found it harder to breathe as the kind memories and thoughts on Davison shed away to a darker nature. A darkness I could sense in his eyes but ignored out of naive ignorance. The memory of the beach and the stories we shared was real but there was always more to him. More I dared not ask about. I looked at her as she trembled, the memories so long ago still fresh in her mind and how she suffered in silence everytime they were around.
              "W-why didn't you tell me sooner?" I didn't blame her, we were strangers. But had she told me sooner I wouldn't feel like the air was being sucked out of my lungs and my heart being ripped from my aching chest.
         She looked down. "I-I should have. I just wanted to let it go though, you know? Maybe finding his mate made him more, human." She took my hand, "this mission though let's me know he hasn't changed. This is suicide, a cruel suicide for someone he thinks of as a mate. You can't go."
        I knew why she was scared, hell I was scared to but still something in my soul called me to the north. I pulled her close. "I'm sorry you had to relive that. I swear to you. I am not going for him, but for myself. Something has been calling me and if I don't go, I may never get another chance." I pulled her away to look in her eyes, "but if you really don't want me to, I won't. I promise I'll never leave you alone or Brock alone ever again, Anya."
             She sniffled and nodded. "Ok. You go but promise me you will return. And promise you won't ever trust the Shadow Moon Pack."
         It pained me too think Davison was truly so cruel but he'd only shown me his good side. I had to trust Anya. I wouldn't shut him out completely but I would be wary. "I promise to exercise caution in all decisions regarding the shadow moon pack."
             Anya smiled. "Thank you!"