Chapter Sixteen

He was magnificent, celestial. I was almost compelled to vote on reverence but I would not. I don't know why but I felt a kinship I couldn't deny. He was bigger than any wolf I'd have seen, he had soft blue markings all over his body that shimmered with a soft light and his eyes were a frosty blue that pierced deep into my memories.
           "W-who?" I felt myself stagger as a faint memory came to me. A man reaching out to me, no details beyond his long white hair were clear. The only thing else I could remember was mother's voice as she talked to the man, thigh his voice was muffled. I wanted to ask him something but I felt my consciousness face away. The last thing I saw was Davison evening from the shadows, a smile on his face as he spoke words I couldn't hear.
            When I woke up I was in a luxurious white room with shimmering silver accents. It was simple but elegant. There was a conversation area by a large crystal fireplace, a work desk with stationary, a wardrobe with a few outfits, a large bookshelf packed with various books and access to an balcony with an impressive view. It was charming but odd to me. I peaked out into the empty halls curiously. I couldn't remember much before I decided too explore cautiously.
         It seemed like the north built themselves a castle of ice and crystal, it was warm and well lit. It wasn't fancy, it appeared they were a practical people until I wandered into a large room with the door open slightly. Intrigued I peaked inside to see it out of place with everything else. It was lit with larch arched windows with colored crystal designs of nature giving the light a rainbow effect, lush flora claimed most of the room but there was a spacious daintily decorated pavilion surrounded by a beautiful pond. For some reason it reminded me of my mother. She would have looked lovely sitting here admiring the diversity around her. I shook my head, how could I picture her here? She'd never gone north in her life. Given the vicious nature of the guards I met I doubted they were the admire the flowers type.
       I slipped out of the room and found myself facing an angry guard. I chuckled nervously but he just looked at me with a murderous glare. "His highness requests your presence, intruder."
           I nodded and followed him to a gathering hall full of spectators. Some in human form, others in wolf. They sat in family groups, young adults say in groups and elders sat quietly farther away, they did all part from the walkway. I walked confidently though their watchful eyes made me embarrassed.
        The closer to the alpha's spot the more I felt a familiar energy. I looked off to the side to see Davion standing in the shadows. How face was expressionless, it was like he didn't even know me. I couldn't help feel a song from that but I had already decided distance was better after Anya's trauma.
            I ignored him as I faced the beta, a stern thin man with piercing gold eyes and long soft grey hair. He looked regal despite a silver scar on his right cheek. I curtsied respectfully.
            His voice was cold and commanding, "you've trespassed into our lands. You've also used witchery to charm our guards leading to their unfortunate demise. How do you plead."
      I looked at him in shock. "Y-you killed your own?!"
             He growled at me. "If you hadn't shown their incompetence than they wouldn't have been killed."
          I felt my blood boil,"you're monsters! How could you disregard your own pack members?!"
                He sent a flare of his energy causing the crowd to quiver but I stood strong. He glared at me. "A rogue. Thinking she can stand to me?"
           I felt my energy radiate around me as I channeled my mother's memory  she always handled business with the grace of a true Luna with the presence of an alpha. I channeled her energy as I stood tall before him. "I am Seraphina Nightly. Daughter of Merilyn Nightly. Luna. Rogue. Alpha. Doesn't matter my title. I will always stand for justice." Everyone felt calmed as my energy feel onto them.
          The beta started strong though his eyes flooded with negative emotions but a random hearty laugh broke the tension. I looked around and saw a tall muscular man with long snow white hair and light blue markings. He was dressed in a white fur cloak over a simple white toga. He had a more relaxed demeanor as he approached me with a smile.
          "My child. Welcome home."
      I looked at him in confusion and disgust. "Who do you think you are?!" I always dreamed of my father, what did he look like? Was he loving? Would he ever find me and mom? I always thought about what I was missing but when mother died I no longer thought about him. He died with her that day as far as I was concerned.
               He looked at me, his eyes pained but still glistened with joy. "Come with me." He looked at his beta and nodded a command before ushering me out of the room. I looked at Davion who had already faded away.
       I followed the man down a dim hall to a large unassuming door. He put his hands on it and took a deep breathe before he pushed it open. I was shocked to see portraits of my mother and I covering the walls. Memories of my youth and even after my marriage. There were pictures of my mom before I was born and pictures until her death. He even had a picture of her funeral. I felt my body cringe as I gazed upon them all. He even had a picture after I renounced Victor. I looked at him wide eyed, him embarrassment clear on his face.
        "I couldn't leave the North. I had to defend these lands from our enemies. Our pack is the main defense against invasion."
                 "From ferals?"
        "No. From vampires. The peace you've been raised in has always been superficial."
         I looked at him blankly. Vampires weren't our greatest fans but they had signed the treaty and lived their lives on the other side of the mountains that divided us. I did know it was life's nature to expand. Did this mean the ferals was a lie? "What do you know about the ferals?"
               He sighed. "I know about them, I don't have the energy to waste on inner squabbling though."
          "You abandoned me and mom to fight off vampires and don't find the impending civil war worth batting an eye at?"
       He looked at me sadly. "I know what you must think of me. I don't want to force you to understand, it's problems that come to us in time."
          "Us?" I looked at him. What did he mean us?
       He sighed. "You have the moon mother's light. You inherited from me. You will someday take my place."
           I looked at him, dumbfounded. I had JUST felt freedom and this man who never had the decency to send a letter was telling me it's take his place locked in the North cut off from the rest of the world fighting vampires in the frosty North?! No. I refused to believe my life would be spent locked away from my friends, from my family. "I refuse."
         His face scowled, his voice firm. "That. Is not your choice."
              I laughed, years welling up in my eyes. "What was ever my choice?"
        He looked at me, mouth clenched tight. He didn't know what to say and I didn't want to hear anything. I left him in that room and stormed to my chambers. My mind foggy but my senses clear as they guided me. I locked myself in and curled up in a ball. I had never felt so alone since i lived with my old pack. For the first time I could truly feel the cold.