[08] To tell you the truth

Year 771 of the Felix Calendar

So much happened in the past years. Cale could say it was more eventful than the past timeline due to the existence of a younger brother.

So many good memories. Of course, there was a lot of trouble too. At this rate, Cale was sure that his baby brother was a trouble magnet, adding a reason for Cale to become stronger.

But that was a story for later.

For now, Cale needed to focus on an urgent matter.Today was Cale's 8th birthday. A reminder of the nearing of the tragedy that flipped over his life. He was contemplating what to do to change his mother's plan when a soft childish voice tugged at his conscious.

"So what is it? Won't you tell me?"

'Am I too obvious?'

Cale tilted his head while preparing an answer. Cale forgot that his baby brother was too sharp for his liking.

That was not a bad thing. If only his baby brother didn't poke around others' problems and ended up dragged into a dangerous situation. For example, when one of the servants was scammed by an illegal debtor...

Sigh

Let's not talk about it.

Cale decided to play innocent.

"What do you mean, Clyde? There's noth-"

However, his baby brother beat him before he could finish his sentence.

"You are a regressor."

Cale flinched.

Clyde smiled after watching his reaction, which made Cale get a goosebump.

"So, I am right."

Cale flinched once again.

'Shi- wait, why are you smiling like Ron, Clyde?!'

.
.
.

The novel never gave detailed narration about the minor villain's childhood.

Cale Henituse's mother, his mother, died in a carriage accident.

The reason Cale in the novel insulted Harris Village residents, his father's neglection, his trashy behavior...now everything made sense.

Their mother died in a carriage accident. However, the real cause of her death was a breaking plate. Their mother broke her own plate.

And there was a chance she would do the same again.

The Henituse territory was eradicated by the northern alliance.

Cale Henituse was the only survivor.

The war lasted for 20 years.

Cale Henituse made a deal with the god of death.

Like him.

Cale Henituse was a regresor.

And...the reason The Birth of a Hero never mentioned Clyde Henituse's existence was not that he didn't exist. However, Clyde Henituse was born dead.

He, Kim Rok Soo, reincarnated as that child. Or maybe he snatched that child's body. Kim Rok Soo hoped it was the former.

For now, he pushed that part to the back of his mind.

"The Birth of a Hero," Clyde said to his brother.

"Huh?" His brother made a weird expression. However, Clyde still said what he needed to say.

"It's the last novel I read before I die."

"Huh?"

"It's a tale about this world from Choi Han's point of view."

"Wait, Clyde."

"I only read until the north invasion. But, combined with your memory, it can be a powerful weapon."

He should take the shield soon.

"Clyde, you too-"

"Yeah, I made a deal with the god of death too."On the outside, Clyde's face was as stoic as usual. However, his mind was not calm at all.

He poured out everything since they needed all information to prevent an ominous fate.

Because Clyde, no, Kim Rok Soo, didn't want to lose again.

His Hyung looked at him with a complicated gaze.

.
.
.

"Hmm... It is good if we get you the power to protect yourself. However, the adult won't let us out without a guard."

After the kidnapping and poisoning incident, they never left without surveillance.

"Sneak out?"

"And caught by Ron."

Cale could see his baby brother shivering. Ron was indeed scary.

"Let's bring him. He is a trustworthy butler."

Clyde didn't like the idea at all.
.
.
.
Cale was walking around the slum with Clyde on his back. An assassin butler with two sacks of bread was following behind them.

Some people curiously pried on them. But they soon averted their gaze when meeting a benign smile.

Clyde still didn't like bringing the assassin butler with them. However, it was convenient. All he needed to do was stay still while carried by his hyung.

"Ron, please wait there."

"Hohoho, as you wish, Young Masters, but please be careful."

Ron would put the bread near the man-eating tree and wait for them in the foothills. Clyde only needed to pour the bread into the tree's black hole without much effort.

They repeated that easy but scary procedure until the hole turned white.

The hill basked on white holly light. Clyde could feel the power wrapping around his heart.

The tree trunk turned white and the leaves blue.

Ron gave the redheads his "hohoho" laugh but didn't ask anything.

Cale was glad his baby brother got the shield.

At least if things went wrong, Clyde had a way to protect himself.

He didn't have the courage to tell him their mother knew about his regression.

Cale remembered their conversation a long time ago.

"Mother, please stay."

His mother only smiled. Cale didn't like that kind of smile.

"But why?"

"Cale, some fate can't be twisted. What I can do is to prepare as best as possible for the one I left behind."

"What if it doesn't turn as you planned? Mother, the white star-"

"I am sorry, Cale." His mother embraced him gently.

He couldn't bring himself to tell Clyde that their mother planned to do the same.

______________________________________

See you later!

ヾ(〃^∇^)ノ♪