Day Downtown (Part One)

Autumn POV-
I opened my eye, stretching in the warm sunshine. I looked to my right, where Roa was asleep on a fluffy brown chair. I opened the closet, similar to the one I used in the white place. I took out a polka dotted dress, and I ripped off my outfit from yesterday. I was in my undergarments, taking the dress of the hanger when he caught my eye.

"Good morning, dearest! Aren't you going to get dressed?" I asked, throwing the tie from the day before at him. He shook his head and got up, smiling at me. I got a better view of his body, shirtless and glowing in the rising sun. His chest and arms were toned and strong. His smile was beautiful. I jumped into him, only hoping he would catch me. He did. He looked at me like I said the craziest thing he had ever heard, with his cheeks turning a golden hue.

He put me down on the bed, tossing me the dress I took out. I pulled it over my head, minding my horn's placement so I don't rip my clothes. He laughed at me, hand covering his eye. The dress covers all that needs to be covered, yet still adapting to my curves. It flows like an eternal waterfall made of fabric. My hair was down, ready for the rushes of fresh air and open sunshine.

Ben walked into the room, disturbance on his face and papers in his hands. His elf ears were tucked low. He ushered Roa away, taking worried glances at me when he thought I wasn't looking. I adjusted my glasses and smoothed out my dress, gazing at the majestic bookshelf across the bed I slept in. Taking a dark brown book off the brightly colored shelf, I flipped open to a random page and started reading.

Dear diary,
Today the princess was back by her window, singing her favorite songs into the cup-string telephone she made to talk to the children of the kingdom. She sang and told jokes to the young ones, while listening to older kids and give them some well thought out advice. They all loved her so much, and I couldn't think of any reason why they shouldn't.

Today I worked up the courage to walk up to that phone and talk to her myself. Before I even got to the plastic cup, she gasped and scurried off, her tail wagging behind her. I should've known- no one like me would ever have a shot with someone like her. The princess and a farmer, she'd be a laughingstock from here all the way to Hamburg. Considering we're on Saturns Rings, that's a heaping of humiliation. When she came back, she picked up the phone and called out "Farmer boy? Is that you?"

"Why, yes, Your Highness. Or, to be more clear, my name is Roa Woods."

"Oh this is so exciting, dear Roa! Please, go to the garden! I'll be sure to have tea and sparkling conversation for you there! Oh, but please hang the sign up. I'd be horrified if the children thought I went missing."

The page cut off there, putting the book back on its shelf and messing around with a beautiful teddy bear with my name stitched on it. Done so carefully and delicately, I got lost in the design until the door scared me back into focus. Roa looked shaken up, like he was going to explode from his golden blush any second.

He was sputtering like a train, pointing at me and himself in a repeated cycle. Ben nodded. "She's chubby. Just keep her away from the usual places. We both know she wouldn't do too well in an ax-throwing booth." He said, tucking blonde hair behind his ear. At his comment, I wasn't sure if I should be offended or flattered. I fidgeted, adjusting my glasses and smoothed out the dress.

"Alright, Autumn. Park, ice cream, mall, food. Or...maybe food before ice cream. And maybe boba after all that." He said, pointing his fingers every which way, as if he needed to keep track that way. Ben shook his head, smiling to himself. "You spoil her, man. But she deserves every second of you she gets." He chuckled, pulling a small brunette elven girl to his side. She was also chubby, but it was more of a slightly rounded appearance of a contented lifestyle where nothing too straining happened to her. I envied her in a way. Although I had the man of my fairy tale dreams at my bedside, she had that too. But she also had memories I loved and cherished more than anything. Something that makes me want to curl up and cry.

Roa put his hand on my shoulder, sensing my emotional distress. I walked to the door, finding a driveway of cars I was surprised I ignored just a night ago. One was a smoky maroon with no roof, and I hopped inside it. It was snuggly, and I didn't need to shuffle in my seat to find the perfect spot.

"I see you're enjoying the ride we're entitled to for today. Ben insists on calling it Betsy, but I just call her Carmen. Get it? Car-men?" He laughed a hearty laugh, something that shook me to my core. My already shaking, desperate for his touch, burning hot core.

Getting in the car, he pushed a button that revved the motor. He reversed carefully out of the driveway pavement, but once free from the confinement of the other cars, he stepped on it. He then pressed the brakes. I flew out of the car, landing on hot asphalt. I was on all fours, my cheek dragging on the chipped road. I was butt in the air, on my knees, on the verge of breaking out in tears. Roa immediately responded to this, at my side in an instant. He lifted me to where I was kneeling in a position the nurses made the girls pray in. Every time someone opened their eyes, a man hit them with a crop. Once for every minute left of prayers. I simply positioned myself to sit with my legs spread.

Roa picked me up, like the way I see the married women get picked up in movies. "Let's walk instead. It's not too far away. Hold my hand, darling." He said, typing something on his phone. He wiped my eye. I was crying. I learned into his chest, listening to his heartbeat. I felt sad, numb even. I'm not sure if I wanted my day out anymore. But Roa knows better than I do right now, so I let him walk down the roads with me in his arms.

We pass by a pair of young men, one who's eyes widened when he saw us. He whispered something to his friend, who looked at me as well. We passed completely, but before we left their earshot, the other orange haired one said something strange.

"Autumn Wishlight. My baby sister. We can get you home..."