Day Downtown (Part Two)

I was somewhat mystified, estranged by the familiar and unfamiliar this experience brought me. Flying out of someone's car, being carried in what he called "bridal style", and the mystery of what's happened to me that made Roa so frightened. He put me on a tree stump so he could get something out of his bag. It was a small casing, which he opened to take out a pair of glasses. He slid them on his face, closed the casing, and put it back in his bag. They had black frames, like mine, but his were more squared and didn't cover all of his eyes. He looked more matured. Sexier.

When he picked me back up, he smiled at me. "I thought you wouldn't like to be lonely." He chuckled, smiling the smile that would win trophies. I turned temporarily stupid. It must work wonders for him, because it's doing it's job for me. We continued on our way, the smell of sweet and savory foods wafting in the air. "Hey, put me down! I can walk on my own!" I said, squirming around in his arms. Roa chuckled, putting me on my feet. I heard loud guitars and trumpets mingling in the space, and they only got louder as we got there, hand in hand. There were speakers on two large poles, spreading the music's charm. When we got past them, all the lights and colors were fascinating me. Grilled foods were being offered, but what captivated me most was the towering silver and black building.

Roa laughed at seeing my face, and nodded to himself. "That's where we're going today, love. That hunk of metal is the mall you used to love. We're spending all day here today." He said, giving me bunny kisses. Taking Roa's hand in mine, I dashed off to the structure. I was about to touch the doors when he pulled me back towards his chest. There was a mischievous glint in his eye, golden blush scattered across his face. All the smells and lights, sounds and exciting rushes was a heady mix to take in. My peace didn't want to stay with me, an older man pushing between my arched brow and Roa's gentle purring. "Horny high schoolers can't keep their damn hands to themselves..." He muttered, checking his watch. Roa was seething, grabbing the man by the collar.

"I can have your head in under a minute. I'd watch your mouth when near a throne ascendant. She's my wife, the only daughter of the Wishlight legacy." He sighed in a raspy voice, a dangerous tone. The man's eyes widened in fear, tears welling and threatening to spill. "H-hey, man! I didn't want any trouble, I'm just trying to visit my boyfriend!" He coughed, lungs clearly not used to the heavy and frequent breaths of crying. His eyes were baggy and his stubble made him look older than he was. In reality, he was maybe only twenty or thirty years old. Red haired, brown eyes and freckles dotting his face like mine. This one was a jaguar species.

I tried pulling Roa away, and the man also tried prying at his grip. I smelled the fear he felt, and it resonated with me. The adrenaline rush and the air turning salty to the taste was enough to draw gold blood. His. Gold blood. Roa yelled at the sky, trying to find out who bit him. The blood didn't sit in my mouth like regular blood would, but instead it solidified and formed a coral-like shape. Throwing it, the formation hit the floor with the sound of a bell.

When I looked back, the man was already running. But he stopped, crouched down slightly and picked another man around the same age as him up. They spun around, gently pecking each other with sweet nothings being muttered in each other's ear. Roa simply grabbed my arm and started running. The smell of desire and bloodlust stung my nose, as I tried to pull away from him. It brought back an old memory from just before the white room. The smells were all too familiar.

* * *

He wasn't a man yet, but not exactly a boy. He was something else. The dark and musty closets, the feeling of him on my body. The blood that fell when I punched him in the gut. I should've done it a second sooner. Boy-man blood staining my clothes. A girl tried getting the attention of a nurse. I was holding an invisible gun that could go off any second.

"Autumn! You're bleeding out!"

It wasn't my blood.

"What did you say? You're mumbling again, darling."

"This isn't my blood."

Then the crowd of medical officials. The things they beat me with. The white. The loneliness. The begging for freedom. The long tube of medicine always in my arms. The tears. All because of that boy-man. I hate him, I hate him, I hate him so much.

                                                                *                *                *
"Autumn, are you okay?" Roa asked me, waving his hand at my face. We were sitting on a bench by a crowded area. Was I really okay? I didn't know what to say.

Then I started crying again. Burying my face in his chest, I wept all the tears I thought flew out in the white room. "No. I wanna go home. I wanna get out of here. I sense something bad about to come." I sobbed, having him wipe my tears. "Autumn, you're okay. No one will hurt you. I promise, I promise, I promise." He sighed, fingers running through my hair. I took a deep breath to steady myself, looking up at him. "No matter what." He said. I didn't believe it for a second, and it was evident in my own face.

He sighed again. He was at a loss, right? Does that mean I win? He opened his mouth. I lost.

"Do you want to hear another story?"

My curiosity betrayed me. I nodded.