Chapter 7 - war crimes

"The Don tell mi seh him waah see yuh enuh." Angela tells me as I walked though her front door.

I hissed my teeth as I walked pass her with a sleeping Ashley. She ramp all day today none stop. Mi know Angela ago buss her ass tomorrow when it's time to get ready for school.

"Yuh nuh hear mi seh sumn to yuh?" She asks again as I made my way out of Ash's room.

"Norbrook doesn't have a Don as far as I can tell. So I don't know which Don yuh talking about." I say, making my way to the door.

"A Norbrook yuh come from Alex?" She says, raising her voice at me.

I took a moment to calm down before I addressed her.

"Yes Angela. All well active in our citizens association. I don't know any Don and as my profession outlines, I can't be associated with any known criminals." I say walking through the door.

She too fucking bright.

Sending a text to my wayward protector, I felt a bit better heading home.

Then all my mother tame eeh? If it wasn't for Ash she would a affi lif up out a dah house yah tonight. She obviously still invested in a the ghetto life. Why she a keep up argument with the likkle dutty Don fah?

Walking into my home, I turn to the fridge to get a glass of juice. I had to calm down a bit before I go upstairs to Mr Observant. Nothing don't pass his eyesight.

After quenching my thirst, I slowly head up the stairs leading to my bedroom. The house was too quiet and I was starting to think that maybe he had already left.

It wouldn't be the first time.

One thing I've learnt to come to grips with over the years is that he works on his timing. If wants to be here for a month he will but if he decides that it's just for a night then, I better enjoy that night.

This is the life I chose.

Walking into my room I see him in bed. He has his computer in his lap with his earphones plugged in. I ignored him, walking into my bathroom to start my nighttime routine. Even though it's just after 9 pm, I like to get a good nights sleep on Sundays so I'm refreshed for the new week.

"A suh yuh do your thing now? Just walk past me suh? Eeh browning.." he says, saddling up to me by the sink.

"You looked preoccupied." Was my dry response. I was still in my feelings about what I saw in his phone earlier. He sucked his teeth loudly while rubbing his bare chest.

I hate niggas.

"Feel like yuh have sumn yuh wanna get off a your chest though. Talk to mi." He says, coming to stand behind me.

I stared at our reflections in the mirror, shaking my head at our height difference. He makes me look like I'm not even trying to grow.

"I don't have anything to say to you sir. You done know say a you alone run your show. Nah kill up myself and waste my breath pon you." I tell him before walking away.

By the time he came out of the bathroom I was already comfortable in bed. He came to join me, cuddling up to me timidly. Him a look friend from me and it nah really go work tonight.

"You know the kind of life mi a live Alex. Yuh been there from the start. Yuh think all a this secrecy and precaution a because mi waah go a road go fuck other gal? A you me a protect and is like yuh nah keep that in mind."

I rolled my eyes so far back I thought they were about to fall of their sockets.

"You're not protecting me. Yuh a protect your own interests. Remember that I'm just apart of your grand scheme, every fucking body has a role." I bite back.