Chapter 16- charted taxi

I watch my phone blow up with calls from my mother and I let them go unanswered. She must have gone over to the shop to add more items to her bill.

Let her stay there and call.

Turning around I faced Sue who was reading over the case file with her face scrunched up. I watched her quietly as she read and made notes as she went along.

After some time she looked up at me, concern imprinted on her face.

"What's the angle will you be taking?" She asked me not even a moment later.

I sighed loudly as I mentally got over my strategy.

"I'm not going to include the brother's statement in our initial briefing. I don't want to involve him if it's not necessary." I tell her and she scrunched her face up.

"Wouldn't that make our work harder? He literally admitted to the crime based on what you have here." Sue argues while I shake my head.

"Akeem is a minor and has a potential football scholarship on the line. Knowing how Jason feels about his brother, I'm certain that he would rather go to jail than have his brother admitting to the crime." I tell her, shutting down her argument.

"It's my job to get this man out of jail without any fallback on his brother. We know he didn't kill that man, our job is to let the jury know that as well without implicating anyone else." I say as she stares back at me, the stress evident on her face.

"I guess we have a lot of work to do then." She says after a moment of silence making me smile.

"Yes we do. We need to get started then." I say.

.
.
.
.
"Akeem said he spoke with you?" Jason asks as we sat out front of one of my favourite cafes.

"Yes. He absolved you of the crime but I take it that I'm not suppose to use that in my evidence file." I say as I sipping on my Ice Latte.

"No. Mi not even want him in a the court gate much more the courtroom." Jason says and I nodded.

"You were the one who made the call to the police. Do you mind sharing how you came about being at the house?" I asked taking out my iPad.

I wanted to take some notes to see how I can spin this tale.

"Mi did deh home a bill back and mi realize seh baller nuh link mi from morning. Anyways mi ring him phone and him nuh pick up suh mi pre seh him probably in a class.

Deh deh and mi just never feel right bout the situation suh me circle up a the school and mi notice him never deh a practice. That strange so me seh mi ago up a the house for him cause him cya miss practice if him waah play the next match.

Pull up a foot now mi hear likkle tumbling in the house and mi rush een. Deh suh now mi see the man a the foot a the stairs and Baller at the top with him pants round him ankle." Jason says with his teeth gritted.

"What did you do then?"

"Mi did in a shock for awhile just a try process. Then mi tell him fi go fi him training gear while me link one a mi killer them pon the banger fi come pick him up and drop him off a school." After that mi check fi see wah could a lead back to him and then me call the police."

I nodded. He was pretty smart about how he handled the situation.

I sat for a moment In deep thought before I spoke again

"Alright, I know how I'm going to work this." I say as I started to show him why he's paying me 50k per hour.

—————————————
I settled in my couch watching another episode of the crown. It was my comfort show.

My phone buzzes and I looked at the wall clock, it's 9:00pm. A who a call me dem yah hours?

It's Jerry, Ashley's taxi driver. What could he possibly want at this time of night.

"Hello?" I answered.

"Ms Alex, goodnight miss. We have a problem?" He says and I just knew my mom was testing my patience.

_____

I walked out of Ashley's room after getting her settled in bed. Jerry was in the living room putting down the last of her bags.

To say I was livid was a gross understatement but I won't even call my egg donor to have any type of conversations at this time.

Worthless muma.

"Can you explain to me again how you came about having my sister and her belongings?" I asked the tired looking driver.

"Bwoy miss, after mi drop her home this evening, yuh mother seh she have sumn she want me do when me done work so me must come check her back tonight." He starts and I took a seat, listing to what he has to say.

"Anyways, me done work bout in a the 8 o clock bells and me call her and tell her seh mi done work and she seh me must come.

When me reach, she have the baby bag them out on the porch and the little girl on a chair on the varendah waiting for me.

When me see that now me call her and ask her what a gwaan and she seh mi must bring her come give you. Mind you, she a talk through the front window cause she lock up the door and inside." He concludes and I started to grow livid.

Yuh know seh Angela a crosses though God!

My head started to hurt me same time. I don't want to be dealing with this shit!

"Oh. Okay well, thanks for bringing her to me. How much do I owe you?" I ask him.

Cya deal with this today.

"No man that soft. Ashley a mi little chargy enuh and from me see how Ms Angela did a move, me know yuh never authorize none a that deh movement's deh."

Wow, she really think that by putting out Ashley, she a spite me? Okay, let's see who can put who out.