Chapter Seven: Souls and Stars

"I don't think there's going to be shooting stars tonight," Beomgyu frowns at his own conclusion.

It's been an hour and the stars are as still as ever. Beomgyu was getting impatient; the wait pulled him into a sleepy state like a lullaby. If it weren't for Taehyun giggling, he would have fallen asleep.

He was not about to miss an opportunity to hear that.

"Have a little faith, hyung. Maybe some souls are still spending time with the people they want to say goodbye to," Taehyun said, returning to the trivial thing he shared from the start, with his voice ever so gentle.

Souls and stars. Taehyun has a tight grasp on that belief, and Beomgyu starts to think it is, you know, real. That people are granted a final chance to talk to the ones they lost—a beautiful thing.

"It makes me sad. How everyone has to leave at some point, and how we don't leave at the same time," Beomgyu said, the alluring sight beyond was not enough to take his mind off the negative.

And Taehyun, of course, knew just what to say. "That's why we have regrets, but that's what makes us human," He chortled. "We're not perfect."

"Some stars are dull," Beomgyu mused as an addition to what was whispered in the air.

"Do you think it's a choice? To be or not to be dull?"

"I don't know," Beomgyu said and that was the truth. "I think it just happens."

Taehyun hummed. There was nothing that he could possibly add to what Beomgyu answered. "Do you have regrets?"

"Do you?"

"I have a lot," Beomgyu resonates with what Taehyun confessed.

Like the universe bestowed it upon him; that it will be a constant in his life. A heavy heart, an erratic mind, and a pained soul—a hopeless case. Beomgyu today was a manifestation of all the regrets he had faced and never forgotten.

And comes Taehyun, closer, and closer. The main roots of it all. From the moment they met, until the very end of time.

It's always been Taehyun. His everything.

Beomgyu gently closed his eyes when the space between them was no more. His lips molding into a pair he was deprived of for so long, hands swiftly finding its place on Taehyun's warm skin he memorized very well, and on his cheeks cascades tears he pained to let go.

A mellow kiss. That's what Taehyun gave him. Something similar to a farewell and it rained him emotions he couldn't explain.

How dare the universe make kissing Taehyun feel like everything he will ever need when he can't have it again?

It made Beomgyu feel weak and vulnerable. Any moment now he could break, and Taehyun would most likely be the cause of it. That's why Beomgyu had his eyes shut when he pulled away, terrified that he'll shatter like glass when he sees Taehyun, his prettiest sight.

"Not telling you I love you," Beomgyu whispered something that's been resting in the base of his heart for such a long time now.

"That's what I regret the most."