Chapter Eight: Fallen

It made Beomgyu ponder about the possibilities of knowing Taehyun better than he knew himself.

Like the way he pouts if he encountered a difficult word in his reading, the way he preferred Caramel Macchiato than any other coffee, the way he loved opening his phone for absolutely no reason but to stare at the screen—Beomgyu knew Taehyun better than Taehyun himself, but he learned that there's so much more that he never knew he never knew.

And it hits him like the skies have fallen. Feeling hopeless and lost, in pain and tired. But he never stopped—he couldn't stop a love that came as quick as it is to fall deeper.

And perhaps it was always meant to hurt this way.

For Beomgyu to feel pain and to say that it will all go away, that it's worth it because Taehyun is.

If only Beomgyu is, too.

"How do you know when it's time to stop loving someone?"

To face it head on—Beomgyu found himself asking Taehyun a question as they sat peacefully in the younger one's car. It's nightfall, the stars are starting to show themselves little by little as witnesses, Beomgyu begins to think it's going to be a reoccurring theme.

"What made you ask that?" Taehyun chuckled, not knowing how much it affects Beomgyu's already erratic heart.

"I just wanted to know what you think."

Taehyun nods in defeat. "Well, I think it's impossible to stop loving someone."

It made Beomgyu shrink in his seat, taking in word by word and correlating them with the scenarios from earlier. "Does that apply to you personally?" Beomgyu glanced at Taehyun's phone, lighting up perfectly like it's eavesdropping. "For him," He points, pertaining to the unfamiliar face that beams a smile through the screen.

"Oh."

"Oh," Beomgyu smiled, mimicking the sound Taehyun made. "I won't pry if you don't want me to. The aunties from the wedding just told me about him when I got you egg tarts from the buffet; they said they were his favorite."

Taehyun sat silently much to Beomgyu's expectations. He can't help but wonder what Taehyun is so afraid of—why he's so keen on keeping people out when they're willing to reach a warm hand.

"Hyung, what are you thinking?" Taehyun swiftly turned to face Beomgyu's direction as if any harsh movement would cause chaos in such a small space. "Are you mad?"

"Why would I be mad?"

"You ignored my first question."

What was Beomgyu thinking exactly? He could barely comprehend. To find out he was about to confess to someone who's still very hung up on the past left him no room to even think more.

"Please, tell me," Taehyun prod, tone bewildering for Beomgyu to catch up. "I don't want you overthinking."

Taehyun was always gentle, and it broke Beomgyu a little bit more. Even in times when things are obscure, Taehyun is always as gentle as the spring breeze.

"Taehyun, don't worry. Can you just drive me home? I feel sleepy."

"But we're supposed to watch shooting stars together."

Beomgyu pouts. "But I left my glasses at home."

"That's fine. You don't need them when you have me."

Remind Beomgyu that he's not supposed to feel butterflies from an innocent remark.

"Then, can we stop by a convenience store instead?"

Taehyun obliged and even went the extra mile by insisting him to stay put. Beomgyu doesn't mind when he's feeling burnt out from all the emotional rollercoaster, but he took the time to message Yeonjun who's been blowing up his phone all day.

[19:23] Yeonjun: Make sure to tell me if you kissed! Send me pictures. I am demanding.

[19:35] Beomgyu: Nobody's kissing tonight or any nights after.

[19:35] Yeonjun: He rejected you?

Worse. He's in love with somebody else—his best friend. A man Beomgyu vividly remembers being mentioned as Huening Kai who's easy to love. Nobody is as interested in stars as he was, and he unfortunately became one with them two years ago from an accident.

Beomgyu couldn't send that, however. Not when Taehyun isn't even aware he knows. Despite getting hurt from the fact that he had no space in Taehyun's occupied heart, he resorts to telling Yeonjun that he lost all courage to confess today.

Not that it's a lie anyway.

"I'm here," Taehyun announced when he opened the car door.

Beomgyu turned his phone off and shot the younger one a frown. "What took you so long?"

"I was making sure I took the right one," Taehyun chortled, and Beomgyu could only hope his ears weren't as red as how they feel.

Beomgyu never knew falling in love would hurt this much, he never knew waiting would get so tiring; but everyday he learns. He learns that love doesn't always reciprocate, that some love is meant to stay locked far away like the stars up above. And as much as he tries to block questions clouding his mind, one lingers like a broken record.

What would have happened if they only had the courage to let go of their fears?