Cruel Summer, Getaway Car

It was feverish outside, but then again, what else was new? That was just part and parcel of living on a tropical island, and she'd lived on 13 so far. Admittedly, though, tonight felt especially cruel in terms of heat and humidity. Despite that, Lady's window was open. Even though it was quiet, the energy in the air was high. She was waiting on her husband. In her mind's eye, she could already see his red bones illuminated by the moon. They were going to spend the night at his bar, as soon as he was done with his Syndicate meeting. Their wife, Lydia, would meet them there. She was still busy ferrying people around the island.

Lady was more than ready to forget work and replace it with drink. She wanted to leave it all behind, she just needed a reason. The long wait for Sam was killing her slow, but at long last, she heard his telltale voice, just as low and smooth as some of the drinks he served.

"Hey, hey, LD!" He wasn't shouting, but she could still hear him waiting below. She stuck her head out the window, smiling down at him.

"Finally free from that awful meeting, Sammy?" she joked. For once, she wasn't there.

As the island's detective, she was usually always required to attend Syndicate meetings. But for some reason, tonight, she was allowed to skip. It was nice to be free of the hassle that usually came with such gatherings, but something at work was dragging her down and she almost missed the normality (though she used that term very loosely) of being with the rest of the Syndicate.

But hey, that was what tonight's outing was for. Maybe a nice night at the bar with her husband and wife was just what she needed.

"Actually, it went better than expected," Sam replied. "I got most of them to agree to try my newest brew within the next week!"

"Ha! Sammy, you bad, bad, boy! Aren't those meetings supposed to be for serious business?" she laughed.

"It is serious business!... For me!" Sam laughed back. Lady couldn't help but shake her head and smile. That skeleton was nothing but one big funny bone, a shiny toy that was irresistible to all, even to those he wasn't married to. That was why Lady felt all the luckier that they wound up together.

But you know, you're the one price I'd buy into...

Maybe the "angels" of the Council would roll their eyes knowing what their distinguished detective got up to once the sun went down, but she was more than ready to roll the dice and risk it all. She was ready to have the best of times to outweigh her caseload, the worst of crimes. And what didn't kill her only made her want it more. She was ready for something new and exciting, ready to feel the shape of Sam and Lydia's bodies pressed up against her own. It was a cruel summer, but that didn't mean she couldn't still enjoy it for whatever it was worth. She was going to paint the town red to erase the blue that she'd been feeling for weeks.

I'll try to play it cool, try to stay cool, and for once in my life, there will be no rules. Tonight, she was determined to make it an unbreakable Heaven.

ooo

While Sam went in to start serving drinks, Lady waited outside for Lydia. Only a bit later, she heard the telltale screech of tires.

"Hey, LD!" Lydia grinned, raising a peace sign as she stepped out of the car.

"Hey, Lydia," Lady gave her wife a tired smile.

"Oof, busy day at work?" Lydia asked sympathetically. She knew that sometimes Lady's case files could overwhelm her.

"...Yeah, we'll just leave it at that," she chuckled dryly. She hung her head low to escape Lydia's concerned gaze. Idly, she wondered why there was a Dead Nebula machine here, literally right outside Sam's bar.