Part 7: Awaking

...and I saw a nurse hovering above me and Nico beside her. I smiled weakly at him, and then passed out.

In my last moments of consciousness, I remember seeing him with puffy eyes and dark circles, but damn he looked happy.

That was all I wanted.

So, I drifted back to sleep, and just waited.

After what felt like hours and hours (which it probably was) I finally woke up.

Nico was still there, and everyone else was gone.

"Hey Nico..."
"Shh Will don't say anything. You're supposed to rest a lot. Don't move, Doctors orders."
"Never knew my own words would come back and bit me in the ass."

He giggled.

"I'm happy you're feeling better though, I was a wreck if you didn't notice. I thought I would lose you. You are one of my closest friends, along with my sister Bianca. I'm sure she would like you if she was still here..."

He looked up at the ceiling, and I saw years in his eyes. I reached over and held his hand. He smiled at me.

"I'm fine though, I'm still worried about you..."
"Don't worry about me."
"Gods Will you are the worst. They had to clear out your system from those fucking pills. You were a mess, covered in blood too. Did you meet anyone special as you were asleep?"
"How did you...?"
"I know pretty much every God and Goddess there is. I haven't met her, but I hear she is beautiful. What was she like?"
"She was probably best described as a grandma, kind and wonderful, but changed completely because of the past."

Nico smiled at me, and kissed my forehead.

"That's enough talking from you. You rest up today, and the rest of the week, Doctors orders."
"Fine. Could you stay with me a little longer though?"
"Sure. I've got nothing better to do."

We sat in silence for hours, just looking at each other, smiling, holding hands, and the silence was comfortable, and we eventually fell asleep in each other's arms. That night I slept very well, no nightmares of any sort, or any bad thoughts that whole day.

I was okay.

We woke to the doctors and nurses coming into check on me. They were murmuring from the doorway, all I caught from them was, cute, are they dating?, I hope so...

It was so early I didn't realize they were talking about us.

But Nico did and turned bright red.

They laughed at him, and went in to check on me. I said I was feeling great, and they said they would let me out early.

"When are you letting me out?"
"We've decided that you are all good, so you can leave anytime today."
"Really?!"
"Yes really, we've been monitoring your mental state and it has gone up a good amount to where it is almost normal! You just need to remember to stay clean for awhile, and focus on recovery."

A few hours later when I was just about to leave a nurse pulled me aside.

"Yes?"
"Will, I just want to say that Nico has been looking out for you for the whole time, and you guys would make a lovely couple."
"Where did that come from? I know he has been looking out for me, he's my friend. I know he's in love with me too..."
"So why haven't you said anything? Are you afraid of rejection?"
"No I just don't know....I don't know if he really loves me. I feel like he's pitying me, like he really doesn't like me at all."
"Remember, that's just your depression saying that. You don't have to believe it. Falling in love could help you with your recovery. Remember it takes time. Be patient. It's okay to relapse, but don't give up."
"Thank you. Thank you so much for everything."
"Of course. Best of luck to you and Nico. I'm sure you two will make it!"

I went to catch up with Nico. I grabbed his hand, and he blushed. I smiled at him, and we walked back to his cabin. We chatted back the whole way, and when we got back we cuddled and watched Netflix for hours.

I felt so happy holding him, he was warm, I felt his heart beat fast, it was magical to me. I held his face in my hands, and he blushed.

I brought my lips to....

His nose. Adorable right?

(Hahaha I bet you thought they were gonna kiss! Is this moving too fast? I hope not.)