Chapter 3 - Abella

Abella Sterling (Female P.O.V)

September 29, 2074 

I scurried over to my desk, checking my internet modem and router. After seeing both were functioning, I took a deep calming breath, although it proved futile in easing my queasy stomach. If anything, it seemed to increase by the minute as the first round of the competition drew near. Any time now, it would begin.

My eyes swept over my living room while reviewing my mental checklist. My computers were powered up, the lights dimmed, and my controllers lay on my couch, ready for use. I took a step toward my hallway. The temptation to check my breaker box was fierce. The last thing I needed was a power outage or equipment failure during the game.

My teeth nibbled my bottom lip as my feet eased closer and closer to the hallway. When two knocks sounded on my front door, I jumped a little before going to answer it.

The momentary distraction was a blessing in disguise as it suppressed my neurotic tendencies. Hopefully, it would soothe my rattled nerves as well.

However, upon opening the door, I forgot all about them. A deep furrow formed between my brows as I checked both ends of the long narrow corridor.

It was empty, without even a soul in sight.

Shrugging, I started to close my door, only to glimpse something brown on the floor. A rectangular box shorter than my forearm sat in front of my doorway. I warily eyed the package before picking it up.

A chin laid on my shoulder before Cristina asked, "What's that?"

"I don't know."

After casting one final glance around the hallway, I brought it inside. "Will you get me the scissors?"

She nodded before rushing into the kitchen. The sound of utensils clinking came from the other room as I sat the box on my desktop.

Shortly after, she bounded into the room with the scissors in tow.

"Here you go." She handed them to me.

I muttered a quick thanks before cutting the tape and opening the box.

Inside was a much smaller rectangular black box. There was no custom embroidery to make it seem more fanciful. Frankly, it bore no markings at all. Yet a tiny piece of parchment resided on top with two words cursively written in black ink.

Wear me.

Cris and I sported matching frowns as we looked over at each other, displeased with receiving orders from paper.

Begrudgingly I lifted the lid revealing a silver digital watch.

Awed by the sleek design, Cris stroked one manicured finger alongside the device. "Do you have to wear it for the competition?" She inquired, snatching her finger back as the screen lit up and a message scrolled across the center.

Welcome to The Hunt.

"It seems that way." Sighing, I grabbed the watch and strapped it around my right wrist. "Does it make you reconsider wanting to learn to play?"

She pursed her lips while mulling over my question. "Maybe. Tell me what it does again."

"It will shock me during the game just to make it more challenging," I averted my gaze so she wouldn't detect the lie.

The watch would only monitor my biometrics during the game, ensuring no one else was playing for me. Since none of the players used cameras, it was the next best choice. It was only fair they implemented some preventive measures because a lot of money was at stake.