Chapter 5 - Abella

Abella Sterling (Female P.O.V)

October 10, 2074 

An intolerable pounding yanked me from my peaceful slumber. My eyes flew open, but the early morning rays of the sun streaming through the holes in my blinds made them quickly reclose.

Burying my head underneath my pillow, I started to drift back to sleep, only for another short burst of banging to commence. It took my sluggish brain a solid minute to process the noise of someone knocking at my front door.

"They better be dying. If not, I swear I'm going to kill 'em." I grumbled, shoving aside my pillow and blankets before reluctantly leaving the warmth of my bed.

After padding from my room, I went to my front door. While standing in my entryway, my eyes sought out the mirror on the left wall. A quick check of my reflection revealed my smooth brown skin was blemish free. Well, almost. Marring my right cheek were a few creases left behind by my pillow.

I started to rub them away, only to catch sight of the wayward strands poking from my ponytail. After tucking them behind my ears and briefly massaging my cheek, I pulled open the door.

A woman with copper red-dyed locks that couldn't have been over the age of thirty stood in my doorway. My breath caught in my throat when I spotted the gold badge attached to the waistband of her jeans. The numbers engraved in the metal made my palms grow slick.

She was a cop.

Oh, that's just great. Of course, my luck would land me in this situation.

Taking a deep calming breath, I dragged my gaze away from the shiny piece of metal to meet the lady's eyes. But a pair of dark shades kept them concealed from view. In the frames, my reflection showed with an awkward smile.

She removed the glasses, tucked them into the pocket of her navy blazer, and said, "Good morning Ms. Sterling. I am Detective Adler."

I nodded and flashed a polite smile in greeting.

"Can my partner and I come inside and have a word with you?" She continued.

"Your partner?" I peeked around the door frame looking for the other person.

She sharply cut her sapphire blue eyes to the right at a guy leaning against the wall. A pair of jeans and a white t-shirt covered his tall, muscular frame. His position only allowed a glimpse of his impressive side profile, but it was enough to pique my interest. Dark stubble covered his chiseled jawline and surrounded his bow-shaped red lips. I dragged my eyes upward over the strong bridge of his nose until they met familiar amber irises. Heat spread across my cheeks upon recognition of my dear friend.

Even though he was handsome, that was no way to think of a friend.

My momentary lapse in judgment was the result of my prolonged singlehood.

Eight months.

Eight long torturous months, I might add.

That's how much time has passed since breaking off my relationship with my ex-boyfriend, Mathew.

And regrettably even longer since I last had sex.

Towards the end of our amicable split, the sex had grown staler and duller than week-old toast. But to be fair, it wasn't newsworthy during the beginning or middle. It was lackluster at best. For the entire three minutes, he insisted on missionary and foreplay...

I scoffed.

Forget about it because it was nonexistent.

I failed to remember the precise moment I started, hiding my disappointment while he lay there maddeningly grinning as if he had just rocked my world. While unbeknownst to him, he hadn't even caused a tremor.