Chapter 6 - Abella

Abella Sterling (Female P.O.V)

October 11, 2074

"I like the design of this one," Cristina said, slightly raising her voice to be heard over the flow of running water from my kitchen sink.

After drenching a stained ceramic white plate in the warm water, I looked at the tablet she held close to my face. A close-up image of a long strapless ivory wedding dress with a plunging neckline took up the entirety of the small screen. The illusion tulle combined with the detailed floral embroidery made the dress a perfect mix of daring but elegant.

"I want my wedding dress to have a similar style." She added.

Sheer joy radiated from her pores at the mention of her upcoming nuptials bringing a smile to my face. Cris was one of the rare lucky people to find her true love in high school. She and Josh met during Freshman year, and their relationship quickly grew from friends to dating. Surviving high school drama had been no problem for the couple, but with only a few more months until the wedding, a meddlesome mother-in-law might just put them to the test.

"Uh-huh, and what does Mrs. Clarkson think?" I enquired, setting the plate into my dishwasher.

At the mention of her future mother-in-law, her smile dampened. Mrs. Clarkson was the living, breathing definition of uptight. Any clothing too revealing made her clench her pearls in distress. Even some bikinis pushed her to the brink of insanity.

Cris softly groaned and rested her hip against the counter. "She would have me walking down the aisle in a nun's habit if I let her have a say."

"That's a great idea!" I exclaimed, purposely ignoring the frown on her face to get a rise out of her. "If you need one, I can ask Sister Tia for hers. It'll save you money."

"That's not funny." She pouted, looking utterly distraught at even the mention of the habit. "Remember, I'm the one that will decide what the bridesmaids wear."

"Alright, I'll stop." I held my hands up in surrender. "But promise me you won't select one off the internet but go and schedule an appointment to see some of these in person."

"I am. It's going to be on Saturday." Her smile instantly returned at the upcoming date. "Can you make it?"

"Yes, why wouldn't I?"

"I thought they would place you in witness protection or something."

After speaking with the police, yesterday, Cris arrived at my apartment just as they were leaving. Their appearance had sparked numerous questions from her and left me with no choice but to reveal the truth.

All of it.

She needed to know the potential danger hanging around me might cause. Instead of running straight for the exit, she chose to stick by my side. Her decision still baffled me but also warmed my heart.

"Nope." I finally replied, picking up a white mug with red lip imprints around the rim and a bit of brown liquid inside. "They only assigned two cops to monitor the building and suggested I hire a bodyguard."

"That's it?!"

"Yep."

"Wow." She breathed out. "Do you have to pay for the bodyguard?"

"Nah. Mr. Cromwell hired them for all of us. I guess he's trying to relieve his guilt for not canceling the game."

"That's the le-" She started only to be interrupted by someone knocking at the door. Just as I went to set down the mug, Cris took off from the room.

"I'll get it!" She shouted over her shoulder.

I nodded at her back and quickly rinsed off the mug before placing it in my dishwasher.