Chapter 27 - Abella

Abella Sterling (Female P.O.V)

October 23, 2074

The image burned itself onto my retinas and tattooed itself into my memory. It didn't help that the train car took its time traveling down the rail.

Suddenly a metallic leg appeared past the doorway, standing atop his chest. Bit by bit, the rest of the spider's body came into view. It traipsed across his body without care as it fixed its sight on me. A jumble of knots formed deep within my stomach when another two identical spiders appeared behind it.

My eyes went wide as they suddenly leaped, flying through the air. There was no time to stop, but I still managed to move my head slightly back as they whipped past my face. Fireball89, the red-headed girl next to me, wasn't so lucky. A horrified scream ripped past her lips when they landed upon her.

She thrashed wildly in a desperate attempt to shake them off but to no avail. My fingers tightened around the pipe, itching to swing, but one wrong hit could injure her.

One strong twist flung the two spiders clinging to her left side to the ground. She whacked her pipe against the lone spider still attached to her leg while I went after the nearest one.

I wound the pipe like a baseball bat before smacking it against the spider's side. The force of the hit sent it flying a few feet away.

Unperturbed by the blow, it bounded back to us for another attack. I quickly intercepted it and bashed it non-stop with my pipe. My rage, frustration, and pure hatred of this fucked up situation fueled every hit.

I didn't let up until its broken and battered form lay still on the concrete with its legs splayed around it. Ragged breaths continuously fell from my lips as I stood over it.

My arms hung limp, aching from the strength I exerted to kill that one spider. But my determination to continue fighting for my life and my brothers kept that pipe glued to my hands. A tiny smile spread across my lips in utmost pride of the takedown.

It was a small victory compared to what lay ahead for me, but I would take it.

A spark of electricity emitted from the robot's exposed wires diminished my smile in a flash and sent me recoiling backward.

A glimpse of something black clinging to the tunnel wall in my peripheral accelerated my already rampant heart rate.

I whipped around with my pipe poised to strike, expecting another spider or worse. But it wasn't either. Instead, it was the butt of one of the handguns secured to the wall.

I glanced at Fireball89 to see one of the remaining spiders lunging at her. The other had succumbed to her blows and lay smashed to pieces on the ground.

Anxious to end this, I grabbed a gun and ran to her. I was halfway there when my feet stopped of their own accord.

I was unable to move, paralyzed as three spiders piled onto her from behind. The other joined shortly after.

I looked on in shock as tiny spikes shot out their legs, piercing her flesh. Sheer agony twisted her features as her head flung back and a blood-curdling scream ripped from her lips.

Over and over again, the spikes retracted before plunging back into her skin. My eyes watered as blood poured profusely from the holes and fell to the concrete.

The crimson rivulets spiraling down their legs sent me to my knees, struggling to catch my breath.

The light in her sapphire green eyes dimmed as her body hit the ground. Deep sorrow and remorse filled my heart, only to be shoved aside by fear. The horde of metallic bastards was much closer now. And any minute now, they would be directly in front of me.