Chapter 10 - Saint

Saint Botero (Male P.O.V)

October 14, 2074

After pressing the doorbell to Quinton's house twice, I slipped my hands into my pockets. A slightly muffled jingling filtered through the cracks in the door while the ceiling fan overhead lavished my heated skin in cool currents.

I started to sit on the white wicker sofa when the outdoor lights came on, illuminating the entire wrap-around porch. Seconds later, the door came open, and a young woman stepped out.

A smile lit up my face as I quickly closed the distance and pulled her in for a quick hug.

"Nia, what are you doing here?" I asked, pleasantly surprised by her appearance.

She laced her arm with mine and led me into the living room of the large two-story house before answering. "I missed my big brother."

Quinton scoffed as he entered the room, making Nia roll her eyes.

"Don't believe her lies." He said without any heat behind his words. "She only stopped by to run up my bills and steal my food."

Even though he was complaining, a wide grin remained on his face.

"That's not true." She argued, planting her fist on her hips.

"The three bags of dirty clothes sitting on my laundry room floor say differently." He dryly retorted.

She stuck her chin in the air and boldly stated, "Those were there before I arrived."

Quinton slowly nodded before saying, "And that." He pointed to the center of his black leather sectional couch, where a white basket overflowing with lacy undergarments resided.

Her cheeks flushed red as she slowly lowered her head and sniffed. "My uh... answer remains the same."

Instead of giving her brother a chance to respond, she guided me into the kitchen. Quinton followed behind us, lightly chuckling, but didn't bother to respond.

"Are you staying for dinner?" Nia asked me as we sat down at the white marble island counter.

"I don't think I should. You and Quinton hardly get to see each other. I don't want to intrude on your bonding time."

She was a full-time student at Florida State studying to obtain a psychology degree. Even though she was only a sophomore, her already demanding course load made it difficult for her to visit.

"You're not intruding, Saint," Quinton laid his hand on my shoulder, gently squeezing. "You're always welcome here."

Smiling warmly, Nia nodded her head in silent agreement with her brother.

"Okay, I'll stay," I said, my voice coming out thick with emotion.

Even though they rarely spoke of my open invitation to visit whenever their actions always made sure I felt at home here.

"Good. We're having..." Her voice trailed off, and she looked over at Quinton for assistance.

"Leftovers!" Grinning, he clapped his hands together and rubbed them. "There are some ribs, macaroni and cheese, okra, and chicken wings, sitting in my fridge from a small get-together with the boys in my unit last Friday. So I'll heat them up. Maybe... make a salad, and then we're good to go."

"Great." She monotonously said. "Well, Saint and I will catch up while you do that."

"Catch up? That's just an excuse for you to be nosey."

She glared at the back of his head while he pulled a few aluminum containers from the fridge.

I tugged on a lock of her hair, getting her attention. "How's school?" I asked.