Chapter 12 - Abella

Abella Sterling (Female P.O.V)

Date: October 15, 2074

"Logan!" I called while gathering his notebooks and textbooks off the coffee table. Usually, I would leave it for him to pick up, but we were already short on time. Both of us had overslept, and now we needed to make up for it or risk him being late to school. "Are you finished eating? We need to leave soon."

A muffled incomprehensible response came from the kitchen while I stuffed them into the backpack lying on the couch.

My brow slightly furrowed as I looked through the doorway to see Logan sitting at the island counter, hunched over a plate of waffles. Well, the remainder of them since most seemed to be filling his puffy cheeks.

"I'm almost done." He said in between bites.

"Slow down. It's not a race." I softly chided as a knock sounded at the door.

He nodded and made a show of chewing slower while I went and answered the door. Regret hit me like a ton of bricks as soon as I pulled it open and saw Saint standing there.

For the love of God, why did he arrive so early? Just why?

After hiring Saint as my bodyguard, I knew he and Logan were bound to meet. It was unavoidable, but I thought I would have more time to explain his presence to my brother and come to terms with seeing him regularly.

Waking up late had robbed me of the chance to do either. Now it was too late.

My fingertips itched, but I resisted the urge to slam the door in his face. After all, that would only buy me a minute or two and only cause more confusion. I just needed to face this.

A hand waving in front of my face brought me back to reality.

"Abella, are you alright?" Saint asked, gently cupping my elbow.

A soft gasp escaped my lips as a little jolt of electricity shot up my arm at the innocent touch.

I stepped back, brushing his hand away and breaking the connection. For a split second, he seemed saddened, almost hurt by my rejection, as he slowly withdrew his hand to his side. But I couldn't focus on that when other matters took precedent in my mind.

"Y-yeah..." I let out a deep breath and shook my head. "I mean no. I honestly didn't think you would come this early."

"Would you like me to come back later?"

Yes dangled on the tip of my tongue, but in the end, I said, "No, no. Come in."

He slung his black duffel bag over his shoulder as he crossed the threshold. After shutting the door, I turned to find my brother watching us.

"Who is he?" He asked while slipping his tie around his upturned collar.

I quickly moved to his side and took over, tying his tie. My eyes were hyper-focused on the tiny piece of garment in my hands. As if I was a novice, I slowly looped the fabric while gathering my thoughts.

But all too soon, I finished and knowing I stalled long enough, I finally said, "Logan, this is Saint. He's a bodyguard and will stay with us for a while."

"Does this have something to do with dad?"

Shit!

This was what I was afraid of happening. Saint's presence would only lead to questions. Questions I didn't have the answers to.

"Umm..." I floundered for a response while smoothing his collar. "Y-yeah."

He stared up at me, waiting for me to elaborate.

I didn't care how mature he seemed. There was no way I could tell him the truth. The bond between father and son was special. He didn't need to develop a deep-seated hatred for his father at such a young age.

The only way to escape this awkward situation was to divert his attention.

I slipped my phone from my pocket.

"Whew!" I exclaimed, looking down at the screen. "Look at the time. We need to get going. Go and grab your school bag."

It was a pathetic attempt, but I was desperate. Thankfully, he didn't press for an answer but instead rushed off to do the task.

Saint lightly touched my arm, bringing my attention to him. "Abella, I-"

I waved my hand, cutting him off. "Look, Saint, I don't need a lecture from you."

"I wasn't going to lecture you."

"Oh." I squeaked out as heat spread across my cheeks.

It must be the guilt eating away at my conscience from concealing the truth from Logan.

"I'm sorry. What were you going to say?"

"I spoke to the building owner and made him aware of the situation. But more importantly, he authorized me to install the cameras inside and outside. Setting them up will only take an hour or two. That is if you want me to."

"Yes, please. But I need to take Logan to school. Can we schedule for after?"

"Yeah."

⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫⚫

Thank you for reading!❤

8-19-22