Vampires

It was the next day. And the boys and I were currently sitting at our table in Defense Against the Dark Arts with Professor Kilgore. He was alright. A good teacher. I liked his classes. On our first day, he said that the Year was going to be split up into two parts. The first part of the Year. From September to December. We were going to be learning about Dark Creatures. Because apparently, we were all behind on them. And the second part of the Year. January to June. We were going to be learning about spells. Mostly Non-Verbal spells. Yeah. This year we learn about Non-Verbal spells. We even use them in Charms and Transfiguration. Also, technically, we should learn Non-Verbal spells in Defense for the first part of the Year. But. According to Kilgore. We were too far behind in Dark Creatures. That we should really learn about those first.

"Ok class, settle down, settle down." Once everyone had stopped talking, he continued. "Thank you. Now, Friday we finished our lessons on Acromantulas." I shivered at the thought of Acromantulas. Considering I was almost eaten my hundreds of them in my Second Year. "I have read all your essays over the weekend, and I am proud to day that you all did wonderful." He looked at me. "I especially liked how Miss Wolfe described them. You got them down exactly, even down to the little feelers on their pincers. Excellent job."

"Thank you, Professor Kilgore." I said.

"You are most welcome, Miss Wolfe." He then turned his attention to the rest of the class. "For these upcoming lessons, we will be learning about Vampires. You were supposed to learn about them in Third Year, but you somehow missed that lesson. Yes, Mister Potter?" He pointed to James.

"Thank you, sir. The reason we didn't learn about Vampires is because our Professor then left the school before we could learn about them."

"Thank you, Mister Potter for that information. Now, back to today's lesson. Can anybody tell me what is a Vampire?" I raised my hand. "Miss Wolfe?"

"A Vampire is a dark magical humanoid being that is famed for biting people on the neck and sucking their blood. They are part of the family of beings known as the Living Dead, along with Zombies. They are usually pale and gaunt with sharp fangs for puncturing the throats of their victims. Though now. If they are Witches or Wizards. They can change their appearance. So that they can't be identified as a Vampire. Vampires seem to be able to live much longer than Muggles. Carmilla Sanguina died aged 196, and Amarillo Lestoat died aged 201. Vampires have a very strong aversion to garlic and can be kept at bay by its presence. They drink blood, though they are apparently also able to eat other foods such as pasties."

"Very good. Take 25 points to Gryffindor. I couldn't have put it better myself. Now, I bet you can tell me who the Vampires known 'enemies' are."

I smirked. "Werewolves."

"Correct. Another 5 points. Can you tell me why Werewolves and Vampires don't get along?"

"Certainly. Though there are different theories.

"It could simply be a competition of sorts, a sense of pride of who you are. Take the rivalry between sports teams or countries for example – they go against each other because they think they are the best. They dislike one another because they think that they are far superior, and because of that, a challenge is born and each side rises to the occasion, ready to prove to the other that they are the greatest. Vampires and Werewolves are the same, each side thinks that they are the superior race, and they feel the need to go against each other to prove it.

"Another thing is that they are very different from one another, and as history has shown us countless times, people often seek to destroy what is different. Vampires are often portrayed as aristocratic and noble beings with an insatiable lust for blood. Whereas Werewolves are usually shown as a bit more laid back, a little rough around the edges with the need to destroy everything in their path once a month. Two very different, yet equally destructive, Creatures. Werewolves hate that Vampires drink blood, Vampires hate that Werewolves have a wild dangerous beast inside them. Werewolves think Vampires are filthy leeches, Vampires think Werewolves are lowly dogs."