Chapter five

You were all on the road now.

"We must hold to this course, west of the Misty Mountains, for forty days. If our luck holds, the Gap of Rohan will still be open to us. From there, our road turns east, to Mordor" Gandalf said.

~~~Cut to dawn~~~~

You were now sitting and watching how the two hobbit's, that you learned were named Merry and Pippin, were getting sword lessons from Aragorn and Boromir.

Aragorn was very calm and collected compared to most of the group, he was very humble to say he was the heir of Isildur and rightful king of Gondor.

"Get away from the blade, Pippin...on your toes...good, very good...I want you to react, not think"

Boromir wasn't as bad as you originally thought, the ring had just got to him, but to be fair, it has got to people faster in the past.

Gandalf, well you knew Gandalf already, your mother and father (biological and adoptive) knew him from when the company of Thorin Oakenshield took back Erebor.

Gimli, again, you know him, he's your adoptive brother.

Legolas however you weren't a fan of. He always looked down on you, and not just because you were shorter than him, but you tolerated him.

~~~Skip to night~~~

You were all now camping for the night. You were all now sitting on your bed rolls when Sam spoke, "Mr (Y/N)?"

"Yes Sam?" you asked, neither Sam nor Frodo have spoken to you much.

"I hope this doesn't offend you, but of what race are you? You're too tall to be a dwarf, and too short to be an elf, but you can't be of men because you have pointy ears!" he asked, looking embarassed.

"Oh don't worry Sam, im not offended" you chuckled, "I get asked this a lot". Sam had a look of relief on his face. "My mother was a elf and my father was a dwarf, so im half and half".

Sam nodded. "And who are your parents".

"Well my adoptive parents are Glóin and Mizmi"

"Adoptive? What happened to your biological parents?"

"Well both of them are dead. My father died at war, and my mother died of disease when i was young"

"oh...im-im sorry" Sam said, voice full of guilt thinking he has upset you.

"It's alright tho, i don't remember much about them" you said with a smile.

Legolas looked upset tho. He had known your mother, and she was very dear to him.

After a while it was time for dinner. As Sam passed the food out you started to wash the pot that he used to cook the food.

Once you finished washing the pot you went to get your food.

You looked around to see the hobbit's talking with their food in their laps, boromir was eating while listening to one of Gandalf's stories, Legols and Aragorn were talking so you decided to go sit with Gimli.

"Are you alright?" you asked your brother.

Gimli nodded and said "aye, im fine, you? You know, after talking about your parents, we both know you remember your mother".

"Im fine Gimli, tho i wish i had know her better..." you then took out a photo of your mother and father standing together. Your mother was holding a rune stone in her hand and your father was grinning.

Gimli looked over your shoulder and said "You know, you look a lot like ya father".

"I know, i even inherited his lack of beard" you grumbled, running your hnd over the stuble you called a beard.

"Aye, but that's probably the elf in ya" Gimli chuckled.

You smiled and looked up at the sky and whispered "I miss you mum".

You then turned the photo around, it had text behind it:

Translation:

Dear (Y/N),

I'm so sorry i have to leave you so soon.

I love you my son.

I hope you grow up to be just like your father, strong, independent and fearless.

I love you.

--- Your mother

You smiled at the message that you have read hundreds of times during your life.

Legolas looked over at you in sympathy for he also knows how it feels to lose a mother.

(A/N)

Ok so. Gimli's mothers name is never mentioned in the movie, books or even on the internet. So i used the most frequently used fan made name. And there was suppoed to be a photo of the message from his mother in elvish, but sadly the photo doesn't want to paste in. If there are any spelling mistakes im sorry, for im wiritng now on a computer which does not have autocorrect, and it's also almost 1AM and im living off of only white bread and water.

(A/N).2
If you ever see a random Blood instead of (Y/N) I'm sorry. I have interactive fic, so while copying the story I read (Y/N) as blood and accidentally wrote that 😅