Chapter 11: The Pollywag

NO ONE'S POV:

(Basketball is played in the Hawkins High gym. Y/N's in the bleachers watching as Steve is being guarded by Billy.)

Steve: [grunts]

Billy: Harrington, right? I heard you used to run this school. That true? King Steve, they used to call you, huh? Then you turned bitch with O'Connell up there.

Steve: Hey, maybe you should just shut up and just play the game.

(He steals the ball from him & lays the ball in.)

Tommy: That's what I'm talking about! Whoo!

Nancy: Steve?

(He goes outside with Nancy.)

Billy: O'Connell! Get your ass down here!

(Y/N): Basketball Isn't really my thing.

Billy: What? You can't dribble?

(Y/N): That's exactly it.

P.E. Teacher: (Y/N), just fill in for Harrington.

(Y/N): [sighs] Whatever.

(Cut to Nancy & Steve outside.)

Steve: What are you doing here?

Nancy: What do you think? Where were you this morning? I missed first period.

Steve: I figured Jonathan would take you.

Nancy: Wha...What are you talking about?

Steve: [scoffs] Jesus, you can't handle your alcohol. Uh...You remember going to Tina's party last night, right?

Nancy: Yes.

Steve: And then what?

Nancy: I remember dancing, and...spilling some punch. You got mad at me because I was drunk...and then you took me home.

Steve: [scoffs] No, see, that's where your mind gets a little bit fuzzy.

Nancy: (Y/N) took me home then?

Steve: Wrong again. That was your other boyfriend. That was...That was Jonathan.

Nancy: I don't understand.

Steve: It's pretty simple, Nancy. You were just telling it like it is.

Nancy: What?

Steve: Uh...apparently, uh...we killed Barb and I don't care, 'cause I'm bullshit...and our whole...our whole relationship is bullshit, and...(Y/N) is a monster. I mean, pretty much everything is just bullshit, bullshit, bullshit. Oh, yeah, also, you don't love me.

Nancy: I was drunk, Steve. I don't remember any of that.

Steve: So that makes everything that said...It's what? Just bullshit, too?

Nancy: Yes.

Steve: Well, then tell me.

Nancy: Tell you what?

Steve: You love me.

Nancy: Really?

(Another student tells Steve to hurry up since Billy's killing them in basketball. Nancy doesn't say it.)

Steve: I think that you're bullshit.

(He starts walking away from her.)

Steve: You know, you could at least apologize to (Y/N). He is the furthest thing from a monster.

(Cut to Steve walking back into the gym to see Billy trying to back down Y/N.)

Billy: Damn, O'Connell. You're stronger than you look.

*SHOE STREAKING*

*BALL DRIBBLING*

(Y/N's thoughts): I may not be able to dribble but I'm confident in my defense. I'm gonna block the shi--

*CRACK*

(Billy elbows Y/N in the nose.)

(Y/N): [grunts]

(He hits the ground as Billy lays the basketball in the hoop.)

(Y/N): [groans]

(He touches his nose & feels that it's broken.)

(Y/N): [winces]

(He moves his fingers down to his nostrils & looks back at them to see blood.)

(Y/N): [growls]

(He picks himself & charges at Billy only to be held back by the other students who were also playing basketball.)

Tommy: Looks like you really pissed him off. Ha!

Billy: Let him go! Let's see what you got!

(Y/N): [yells]

(Steve joins in on the students trying to hold Y/N back.)

Steve: (Y/N), you've got to calm down!

(Y/N): [deep breath] Okay, I'm calm. Get the hell off me.

Steve: [sighs] Good. You scared me there, buddy. Your nose...

(Y/N): Broken, I know.

P.E. Teacher: O'Connell--

(Y/N): Nurse, yeah. Going there now.

(He walks out of the gym. As he's walking...)

*CRACK*

(He pops his nose back into place.)

(Y/N): Ah! I swear, one of these days I'm going to rip someone in half...Nancy thinks I'm a monster, huh?

*SLASH*

(He slashes across some lockers.)

(Y/N): I'll show her a monster.