Chapter 25: The Hellfire Club

NO ONE'S POV:

(Pan down to Steve driving Robin to school with Y/N in the backseat. The camera happens to go over his right upper arm that now has a tattoo of a shamrock.)

(Y/N): [yawns]

Steve: Then there's Heidi tomorrow night, but the problem with Heidi is that she's going out of state for college.

(Y/N): That sucks, man.

(Robin does her eyelashes as they're talking.)

Steve: Do I wanna start another relationship that has no point other than sex? I mean, I didn't know. Does that make any sense to you?

(Y/N): It does. I think you're looking--been looking for a real relationship ever since you and Nancy broke up. But what's important is that you don't force it. If it's right, it'll come naturally, like Robin and I.

Steve: That's great advice, (Y/N), but I was primarily talking to Robin.

(Y/N): Oh.

Steve: Robin, are you listening?

Robin: Uh, yes.

Steve: What did I say?

Robin: Something about sex with Linda.

(Y/N): So close.

Steve: No, I'm talking about Heidi. (Y/N)'s listening but I really need the female perspective on this.

Robin: Cut me some slack, please. (Y/N), make him cut me some slack.

(Y/N): Right now? While he's driving?

Steve: Well--

Robin: Your love life is one of labyrinthine complexity. It is 7:00 in the morning, we have the stupid pep rally, and I woke up looking like a corpse.

(Y/N): A hot corpse. That sounded better in my head.

Robin: Not that I don't appreciate the compliments, but it is way too early to be giving them.

Steve: You're worried about a basketball pep rally? Expect us to believe that?

Robin: Yeah? So?

Steve: So all three of us know what this is about. Okay? I'm not buying that bullshit and your boyfriend's smelling it.

(Y/N): I am.

Steve: This is about Vicky.

Robin: Absolutely not.

Steve: It is. You know what else?

Robin: I really don't care--

Steve: You gotta stop pretending to be someone else when you're around her. You just gotta be yourself.

Robin: You're literally quoting me to me. You do realize that?

Steve: Maybe you need to listen to yourself. You ever think about that, smarty pants? I listened to you. Look at me. Boom. Back in business.

Robin: It's not the same thing, okay?

Steve: Well...

(Y/N): How is it different?

Robin: I'll gladly explain. You two ask a guy to be your friend and tell them that you're gay, you can play it off as a joke. Big deal. Nothing happens. Maybe your ego's a little bruised. But I tell the wrong girl, and bam, I'm a town pariah.

Steve: We'd buy that, except Vickie is definitely not the wrong girl.

Robin: We just don't know that, do we?