Chapter 12: Will the Wise

NO ONE'S POV:

(Basketball is still being played.)

Coach: Let's go. Pass it up now. Get open!

Billy: *while dribbling* [laughs] All right! All right, all right!

(He's guarded by Steve.)

Billy: King Steve. King Steve, everyone. I like it. Playing tough today.

Steve: Jesus! Do you ever stop talking? Come on!

Billy: [laughs] What? You afraid the coach is gonna bench you now that I'm here? Huh?

(He plows through Steve.)

Steve: [grunts]

(He lays in the basketball in the hoop. He offers his hand to Steve which he takes.)

Billy: You were moving your feet. Plant them next time, draw a change.

(Y/N runs over & helps his friend up.)

Steve: [groans] Thanks. I know you said that you've never eaten someone before, but would you like to start with Billy?

(Y/N): Most definitely.

[WHISTLES BLOWS]

(Cut to the showers.)

Billy: [sniffing] Don't sweat it, Harrington. Today's just not your day, man.

Tommy: Yeah. Not your week. You and the princess break up for a one day, she's running off with the freak's brother. [chuckles] Oh, shit. You don't know.

(Y/N): You just never shut up, do you, Tommy?

Tommy: How about you make me, O'Connell? Anyway, Jonathan and the princess skipped yesterday. Still haven't shown. But that must just be a coincidence, right? [laughs]

(Tommy leaves.)

Billy: Don't take it too hard, man. A pretty boy like you has got nothing to worry about. Plenty of bitches in the sea.

(He turns off Steve's shower head.)

Billy: Am I right? I'll be sure to leave you some. And (Y/N)? [sniffs] You smell like a wet dog.

(Billy leaves.)

(Y/N): [groans]

(He turns Steve's shower head back on.)

(Y/N): So, Steve?

Steve: Hm?

(Y/N): I've got to talk to you about something.

Steve: Okay?

(Y/N): Uh, actually, never mind. It's not important.

Steve: (Y/N), come on. Spit it out.

(Y/N): All right. You know I'm a werewolf, right?

Steve: Right.

(Y/N): We're like wolves. But what I'm specifically talking about right now is pheromones.

Steve: "Pheromones?"

(Y/N): You do know what they are, right?

Steve: Of course I know what they are. Why are we talking about them?

(Y/N): Well, female wolves and werewolves have specialized glands located on the end of their tail, toes, eyes, sexual organs, and skin that secrete pheromones, which produce an individualized scent, similar to a human fingerprint. By smelling these pheromones, male wolves and werewolves can tell when female wolves and werewolves are ready for mating.

Steve: Uh-huh.

(Y/N): It's kind of the same with human females.

Steve: They have glands?

(Y/N): No. [chuckles] No, no. You see, human females also secrete pheromones but only when they're pregnant. But me, being a werewolf, I can pick up the other pheromone they secrete it.

Steve: Thanks to your nose?

(Y/N): Yeah. Looking at you keeping up with the information.

Steve: I can see that means a lot to you but please continue.

(Y/N): All right. I can basically smell when they like someone and when they're in love with someone.

Steve: Seriously?

(Y/N): Seriously. Their pheromone leads me to the person they like and/or in love with.

Steve: So, is that why I've never seen you with a girlfriend?

(Y/N): Somewhat. Girls don't like me.

Steve: You just haven't met the right one yet.

(Y/N): I know, I know.

Steve: I take it Nancy secreted that pheromone?

(Y/N): She has. When she liked you and while you two were dating.

Steve: That's good to hear. Never the...love pheromone?

(Y/N): Nah, never. Sorry about that.

Steve: It's whatever.

(Y/N): I can tell you who her love pheromone led me to.

Steve: Let me guess. Jonathan.

(Y/N): Wow. First try.

Steve: I figured. And earlier with Nancy...confirmed it. Thanks for telling me. Well, planning on telling me.

(Y/N): Anytime. I could track them down if you want? Bring 'em back to school or just report to you what they're doing.

Steve: There's no need for that.

(Y/N): Gotcha. Just let me know if you change your mind.

Steve: I won't. Weird how we had this entire conversation in the locker room shower, huh?

(Y/N): Now that you mention it...yeah.

(Cut to Nancy & Jonathan listening to their recording of Doctor Owens after they were brought into Hawkins Lab.)

Owens: Doesn't really matter. The point is, mistakes have been made.

Nancy: Mistakes?

Owens: Yes. The men involved with those mistakes, the ones responsible for what happened to your brother and Miss Holland's death, they're gone...

(Nancy plays back the part where Owens mentions Barbara's death.)

Jonathan: You still wanna do this?

Nancy: Let's burn that lab to the ground.

(Y/N walks out of the woods.)

(Y/N): Hm.