008

*FLASHBACK*

"HANA, ASA, ATSUSHI...those three are relatively mean on the outside. Like, they show their true selves like that."

"Mh-mm," Kazuya nodded, listening to Akina.

"But Haruto..." Akina shuddered and began to hug herself. Akina's parents gripped her shoulders tightly for support.

Kazuya raised an eyebrow. "Is he the ringleader?"

Akina nodded, eyes wide as she stared at the blankets. "But you could never guess that at first glance. He seems to be the poor guy that follows their schemes. You know, the guy in the movies who's too scared to speak up and has no choice but to follow them in their evildoings?"

Tears filled her eyes as she gritted her teeth. "But he's actually the cruelest of the four. Those three are actually his minions."

Kazuya's eyes narrowed.

The mastermind hiding in plain sight, huh?

The corner of her mouth turned up.

Let's see if you can handle me, Fujino Haruto.

*END OF FLASHBACK*

Kazuya looked at her watch as she tapped her foot impatiently. Every second that went by seemed like an hour.

Suddenly, Atsushi stood up. "See ya, losers. She's not a real cop."

He wasted no time and turned around to bolt out of the cafeteria, hands still behind him in handcuffs. But just as he took a step-

POW!

"AUGH!" Atsushi cried out, falling back down to his knees.

"Do you want to add another charge to resisting arrest, Asano Atsushi?" Kazuya asked.

Her leg was still in the air. She had kicked him in the back so fast he didn't even see her leg moving.

Suddenly, she heard a steady, sharp noise. Over and over again, the sound of clapping filled Kazuya's ears.

She looked up and saw the man she hated most. He grinned and his only visible eye curled up; his red hair hid his other eye.

"Head Detective Eguchi," Kazuya said, gritting her teeth behind a smile. "I am so glad you are here, sir!"

"Efficient and quick as always, Detective Himura!" Mr. Eguchi said as they both bowed to each other.

Mr. Eguchi was all smiles and sunshine, but if you knew him long enough you'd know that instead of sunshine, a dark aura practically rolled off of him.