038

*FLASHBACK*

"OUT, GET OUT!"

Himura Amaterasu's long nails dug harshly into Kazuya's arm, drawing blood at an impressive amount. The eight-year-old Kazuya stumbled, tripping over her feet, as the woman dragged her across the hallways with no mercy.

The crown on the woman's head glittered harshly in the sun. A fire like hers burned and suffocated people instead of providing warmth.

"Be grateful it's not by your hair," Himura Amaterasu growled at her screaming daughter, though she wished she didn't even have to call her that.

She stormed down the hallway, bumping into her eldest daughter: her pride and joy. Himura Kaya's eyes widened at the chaotic scene.

Kazuya looked up with desperate eyes, pleading for her older sister to help her. After all, her older sister had always helped her whenever their mother got mad. So why wouldn't she help-

Himura Kaya stepped aside, looking at the ground like her life depended on it. "...Your Majesty."

...Oh? What's this? Kazuya was confused as she passed by her older sister, who did nothing to help her.

Himura Amaterasu opened the door of the house roughly, leaning down to scream into her disappointment-of-a-daughter's face. "One more chance!"

But Kazuya didn't say anything other than scream and tug at her arm, which was all in vain. Himura Amaterasu's nails dug in deeper as she flung Kazuya out of the house. She bent down and threw the first pair of shoes her hands touched, hitting Kazuya in the face.

"Come back when you're willing to get on your knees and beg for forgiveness!" Himura Amaterasu yelled, slamming the door shut.

Kazuya stared at the door with wild eyes. Her hair was disheveled, her limbs covered in bruises, and her forehead was cut from having a plate flung at her.

Her heart seemed to beat faster with the passing second, until she couldn't take it anymore. Her hands reached out to snatch the pair of worn-out and torn canvas shoes. She scrambled up to her feet.

She spat at the ground. Then, she turned and ran, ran as fast as her legs could take her. She didn't care where. She could reach the end of the world and fall over the edge for all she cared! As long as it was far, far away from that wretched place.

She ran until she physically couldn't anymore. She collapsed against the wall of a hidden alleyway, breathing so quickly she probably should've passed out from the hyperventilation.

She thought back to the playground she ran by. There were so many kids her age, playing with their parents or other kids, all big smiles.