Chapter 5: Champions

It's the end of the day, you were sitting on a bench in the front of the school. You had your headphones on. Eddie was your ride home, and unless you wanted to walk all that way home you had to wait for him.
A lot of time has passed, you see two boys approaching you. They were the two boys Eddie was hassling earlier at lunch, they were wearing matching Hellfire shirts.
They gave you a wave, so you took off your headphones. "Hey!" The one in the hat said a little out of breath. "Hey?" You say a little confused, you looked at them both. There was a small awkward silence "Uh, so you think you can sub for our D&D campaign? It's basically a fantasy game where-" "Eddie already told me about it." You interrupt.
The boys look at each other then back at you "Well.. I'm Dustin, this is Mike" Dustin says gesturing at himself and Mike. You nod "I'm Y/n" they smile a bit "So Y/n, you up for it? It starts at around 6pm! And it's held inside school." Dustin says eagerly. You pause think about it, on the positive side you get to spend some time with Eddie, and scold him for ditching you, but it's with a bunch of sweaty boys playing a fantasy game. "Sure, why not. You got another one of those shirts?" You say nodding to their shirts. They look at each other in excitement.  They hand you a spare shirt, kind of odd they just had an extra one but whatever. Eddie still hasn't come back yet, and you just want to go home now. "Also, you guys mind giving me a ride home...?" You say standing up. They look at each other. Mike speaks up "My sister, Nancy and I can give you a ride." "Great" you smile in relief.

It was an awkward car ride but you say thanks and that you'll just be a minute and get out. They wait for you in your drive way. You walk to your front door and see Eddie's van parked in his driveway. "What the hell.." you mumble. Whatever, You think to yourself. You sigh and go inside, you father isn't home to scold you for rushing out this morning, Thank god.
You head to your room and change into the Hellfire Club shirt. You stop in front of the mirror, it looks good on you. You leave a few things behind and quickly head back to the car.
You hop in the back and you all start heading back to the school.
After another painfully silent car ride you're back at the school. You, Mike, and Nancy get out of the car. "Mike meet back after the game, alright? I'm not waiting any later." Nancy says. "I can't promise anything! These campaigns take a while.." he mumbles the last bit. You laugh a little and part ways wth Nancy. "So Y/n, know anything about the game? If not Dustin and I can help." He says as you both walk to the other set of doors "Uh well, not really. But I'm a fast learner." You say rubbing the back of your neck. "You'll be playing for one of our friends so you don't have to worry about making a character sheet and all that." He says opening the doors. Character sheet..? God you're clueless.
Dustin finds you guys in the hallway "Hey Mike! Y/n! You ready for the Cult of Vecna?" He says excited. You nod, Mike walks up to Dustin and they walk together as you follow behind them. You don't know anything about the game but it seems fun, even if you think it's a bit nerdy.
You, Dustin and Mike enter the room. The boys look at you guys, so does Eddie. You give him a glare and follow Dustin and Mike into the room. "You asked for a sub, we delivered." Dustin says, Munson pauses and looks at your shirt smiling a bit but quickly snaps out of it "Absolutely not" Eddie speaks up you tilt your head at him still giving him a death stare. He obviously was scared to face you and actually talk about him ditching you. "Do you even know how to play Y/n?" He says in his defence, his whole demeanour changed. You roll your eyes. "Me and Dustin can help." Mike speaks up "And I'm a quick learner." You back Mike up.
There was a long pause and a few of the other boys whispered to each other. Eddie sighs "Fine. You can play." You smile and sit in one of the chairs close to Eddie and his little set up.
"Welcome to Hellfire" he says smiling a bit.

About half an hour passes by, you've gotten the hang of the game. Eddie starts getting ready to give a little speech, you rub your foot against his leg. He gets flustered a bit and looks at you for a split second before continuing. "The hooded cultists chant "Hail Lord Vecna" he pauses looking around the table, you and everyone else lean in "Hail Lord Vecna..."
"They turn to you.. remove their hoods" he says pretending to take off a hood, giving a visual. You look at him biting your lip while still rubbing his leg with your foot. He adjusts in his seat. "You recognize most of them from Makbar.." he continues to build suspense while you attempt to distract him. "But there is one you do not recognize..his skin shrivelled, decimated.." he says.
You're actually invested and stop rubbing his leg for a second to listen. "And something else, He is not only missing his left arm" he puts his arm behind his back and pauses. "BUT HIS LEFT EYE!" he shouts using his free hand to cover his eye. The group erupts erupts. "No, No!" One boy shouts "Vecna's dead!" Another goes. "He was killed by Kas!" You chime in.
"So it was thought my friends, so it was thought" he says with a wide grin.
"You are scared. You're tired. You're injured.." Eddie says "Do you flee Vecna and his cultists, Or stand your ground and fight?" He says smiling. "I say we fight" you say staring at Eddie "To the death." You add. "To the death. To the death. To the death! To the death!" everyone chants.
Time passes and dice clatters, tension builds, slowly your party gets killed off. Eddie takes a player off the board laughing. It's only you and Dustin left. "Time out, time out!" Dustin says and you all huddle away from the table
"Guys, I hate to say this, but we've got to flee." The boy in flannel (Gareth)  speaks up "I concur" another boy says. "Didn't we just agree "do the death?" you say. "That wasn't literal" Gareth said speaking through his teeth. "Vecna decimated us. We can't kill him with two players!" "Really Garett? He only has 15 hit points left, don't be pussies!" You say. "It's Gareth- and Pussies? Really? 'Cause we're not delusional?" Gareth says. "Delusional? How about not cowards" you snap back at him.
"Hey!" Eddie interrupts "if I may interject, gentlemen, Y/n. Whilst I respect the passion, you'd be wise to take Gareth the Great's concern to heart." He looks at you specifically,
you roll your eyes. "There is no shame in running" he says resting his arms on his chair. "Don't try to be heroes. Not today, 'Kay?" He said with a sort of fake smile.
You didn't want to give up that easily, you also didn't want to let the boys down and give Eddie Munson the satisfaction of beating you at your guy's own little game.
"One sec" Dustin says going back into the little huddle. "What do you think?"  Dustin asks Mike "How many Hitpoints do you and Y/n have?" "Twelve" you both respond.
Mike pauses to think "It's risky as hell.. but you're the ones in the battlefield, so it's your call" Mike responds. "What do you say Y/n?" Dustin asks. You roll your eyes "do you even have to ask?" You you look at him "Screw it." Dustin says "Let's kill this son of a bitch!"
He breaks up the huddle, you all turn to face Eddie. He looks at you amused. "The chances of success are 20-to-1" he says, Dustin holds up his finger stopping him "Never, tell me the odds" he says confidently, you smile.
Dustin holds his hand out, he's going first. "Give me the D20" he says. Eddie tosses him the die and he catches it.
Dustin slowly shakes the die in his hand, he's sweating like crazy, you lean in and Dustin releases the die. It rolls painfully slow. It slows down... it lands on 11 "THATS A MISS" Eddie says shaking his head and laughing. "No!" A boy yells "Shit shit.." Dustin says.
It's your turn, you grab the die. You need a 15 or higher to slay Vecna and beat the campaign. You didn't want to let the boys down. You look at Eddie, you both make eye contact. You look back down at the game you start shaking the die. You close your eyes and kiss your thumb. Opening your eyes you release the die.
It rolls across the board, "Please!" "Come on! Come on!" Dustin says spitting on the table.
The die slows down, it stops in front of Vecna and his thrown. It lands perfectly on 20. "CRIT HIT!" You throw your hands up in the air and run to hug Dustin.
"What! What!" Eddie says smiling and backing up. Everyone celebrates, "That's why we play" he says smiling and bows to you.
You have a big smile on your face. You let out a big breath and laugh a bit.
Everyone packs there things and leaves, you stay behind with Eddie to talk. You walk over to him, he looks up at you. There was a long pause and hesitation from him. "Listen, Y/n-" You kiss him before he could finish. He pulls you in and wraps his arms around you.
You pull away and put your head on his chest, "I like you Eddie Munson, I really do." He pets your hair a bit before speaking "I really like you too Y/n.." he kisses your head and leans down a bit.
There was a moment of silence "That shirt makes you look so hot Y/n, you should wear it more" he whispers in your ear. You can't help but burst out laughing. "Keep it in your pants Munson" you pull away chuckling a bit.
You and Eddie pack everything up.

Eddie and you are holding hands walking out to the parking lot. You see Chrissy waiting by Eddie's van looking around, making sure no one else would see her. You look at Eddie confused as you walk closer to his van.
"Hey m'lady" Eddie says to Chrissy bowing a bit, he lets go of your hand. "Hi Eddie, and Y/n?" She says looking at Eddie. "I thought it was going to be just between us." Chrissy says a little worried. You put your hands up "Don't worry, I have no idea what's going on. I'm just here for a ride home"  you say and smile at Chrissy trying to reassure her. She smiled back. Eddie hops into the drivers side of his van and you sit in the middle, between him and Chrissy.
It was a little awkward but you didn't mind. Chrissy sort of scooted closer to you trying to warm up, you allowed her to get closer. You didn't mind at all.
There was an awkward silence. You clear your throat, breaking the silence. Chrissy and Eddie look at you "Sorry.." you say. Chrissy laughs a bit.
After a long silent car ride you're back at the trailer park. Eddie parks his van in his driveway and you all hop out of the van. "Well, this is my castle" Eddie says spreading his arms out to show off his house.
You nod acting impressed, you stepped back a bit. "Well I'm gonna head back to my place, uhm have fun?" You say and walk to your home just across the street.
You sigh and open the door, your dad passed out on the couch again. You don't have time to deal with him so you just head straight for your room. You grab your weed box and head back outside. You didn't want to go back to the forest and smoke so you just settled on your wobbly porch and rolled a joint.
You were smoking for a bit. The lights suddenly started flickering from your trailer and the others down the street. You look around confused, maybe it's the power? It's pretty shitty here. You hear a scream from Eddie's trailer. Shit Eddie.
You bolt to his trailer across the street the door suddenly opens and you bump into each other "what the hell! Are you okay?! Where's Chrissy?" You look him up and down to make sure he's okay before peaking inside his trailer.
What the fuck.
You feel sick in your stomach, you cover your mouth, you feel bile pool into your mouth.  "EDDIE WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED." You grab his face panicking, he had tears in his eyes shaking.
He shuts his trailer door and grabs your hand rushing to his van he opens the back and helps you inside, you protest but he shuts the door on you. He gets into the driver seat and quickly turns his van on. He didn't waste time and immediately backed out of his driveway and started driving.
You climb into the front seat. You breaths were shaky. You look over at him and he's shaking with tears in his eyes. He punches the wheel "shit, shit!" He cries out. "Eddie, Eddie!" You shout "I need you to tell me what the hell happened to..Chrissy.." he looks at you with heavy breaths.