Chapter 8: Good and Bad news

Eddie hastily tries to shake you awake, you didn't respond. He quickly hops out of the boat and runs to the window, making the floor boards creek. He hears car tires screech "shit.." he looks down as if you guys just got caught.
The door slams open, Eddie flinches, you quickly sit up.
Dustin, Robin, Max, and Steve walk in "Jesus.." Eddie says, you're relieved that it wasn't the cops, or someone there to turn Eddie in.  "Delivery service" Dustin says smiling holding two plastic shopping bags.
Eddie walks over to the boat with the bags and sits down next to you. He digs through them and takes out a box of Honeycomb cereal and a drink, he stuffs his face with the cereal. You grab one of the puddings.
"So we got, uh, some good news and some bad news." Dustin says as he watches Eddie stuff his face with cereal. Eddie takes a sip of his drink to choke it all down "Bad news first, always." He says with his mouth full, you nudge him to slow down so he doesn't choke.
The last thing you need is for someone to choke to death.
"Alright. Bad news, We tapped into the Hawkins PD dispatch with our Cerebro, and they're definitely looking for you." Dustin says. Shit, of course Eddie is Number one suspect, you'd think it was him too if you hadn't known him the way you do now.
"Also, they're, uh, pretty convinced you killed Chrissy..and kidnapped Y/n" Dustin adds as if matters couldn't get any worse. You look over at Eddie, he looks zoned out, trying to process everything.  "Like, 100% kind of convinced" Max adds.
"And the good news?" You ask, hoping for something that can make the whole situation better. "Eddie's name hasn't gone public, yet." Robin answers. Your hopes instantly crushed.
"But if we found out, it's a matter of time before others do" Dustin says, making things worse, in fact.
"And once that gets out, everyone and their shallow-minded mother is gonna be gunning for you." Robin says, digging the whole even deeper. Eddie was in deep shit. "Hunt the freak, right?" Eddie says, scoffing. "Exactly" Robin says. "Eddie you're not a freak- I know this situation is bad but-" you try to reassure Eddie but he cuts you off "But what y/n? I'm going to have an entire town hunt me, because of stupid dark wizard shit!" He shouts at you. "And if I even try to explain my story, they'll blame it on cultist shit, and I'll end up in a crazy person hospital. There is no good in this situation for me."  You give him a sympathetic look, and grab his hand.
He was frustrated, I mean, can you blame him? you would be too if you were in his shoes. You want to help but don't know how.
"Listen Eddie, before any of that happens, we find Vecna, kill him, and prove your innocence." Dustin explains. You all look at Dustin, you all knew it wasn't that easy.
"That's all, Dustin? That's all?" Eddie says sarcastically, no way in hell it was that easy. "Yeah, no, that's pretty much it." Dustin replies.
You both just look at him in disbelief.
"Listen, Eddie, I know everything Dustin is saying sounds totally delusional, but we've actually been through this before." Robin says disregarding what Dustin had just said. "I mean, they have a... a few times, and... and I have once."
"Mine was more human-flesh-based, theirs was more smoke-related, but bottom line is, collectively, I really feel we got this." Robin trailed off a bit but sounded confident at the end. You trusted her, she seemed honest. Even though everything about monsters, and shit was hard to believe, but after Chrissy and your nightmares, it's plausible.
You look over at Eddie, he was still processing. "We usually rely on this girl, El, who has superpowers." Steve chimes in. Yeah, no, now you're lost. "But, uh, those went bye-bye, so..."
He adds.
So your only chance of surviving is this group of.. bright people. Might as well curl up in your nicely dug grave now.
"So we're technically in more of the..." Steve paused to think "Kinda..." god, you're hope is literally being stomped into atoms right now.  "Brainstorming Phase." Robin chimes in to save Steve the thinking. Steve snaps his fingers as if he figured it out himself "Brainstorming"
Eddie looks at you with a 'we're so fucked' look.
Dustin obviously thought the same thing "There... There's nothing to worry about" he says trying to reassure you both. Eddie scoffs, but before he could speak sirens approach quickly. "Shit.." you whisper.
Everyone panics "Tarp-" Robin blurts "Tarp, tarp!" She says shouting at you and Eddie.  You push Eddie down and pull the tarp over you both. You were on top of Eddie, he was staring at you, his breaths were heavy, you put your hand on his mouth this time. One of his hands was on your leg, gripping in fear.
The sirens get louder, you're heart starts to pound, shit, shit, shit. The sirens pass, you look at Eddie in confusion. Steve pulls the tarp off of you guys. You sit up and let out a breath, you were relieved that they haven't found Eddie, yet.
"It's fine love birds, they passed." Steve says. You shoot him a glare as he helps you get up out of the boat. Eddie follows behind you.
You start connecting the dots "If the cops weren't here for Eddie, then..." you say thinking about Chrissy, if the cops weren't actually here for Eddie, it means there was another victim.